I finally made a working Joule Thief (I'm easily amused I suppose)

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
I've been trying to make one of these darn things for a couple of months but the transistors I had available were apparently not suitable. So I went out today and bought one which was. I'd like to find a way to make the thing more efficient however so it will run at or below 0.73 volts. Any suggestions?

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
I may be wrong but that circuit can't work as you approach 0.7V because the transistor would never turn on.
I appreciate your input. So, given that fact what could I add to cause the transistor to turn on as I approach 0.7V? Perhaps a capacitor of some kind?

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
That would add another Vbe, and require ~1.4V to turn on.
I have a question for you Wayneh. I've got this little homemade battery that is a consistent 0.73 volts with no load. Mind you, I don't know what the ah might be. But what if I hooked it up to the Joule Thief I made the other day and zapped it with a 1.4V charge from an AA battery in order to kick start the transistor? Might it then be able to use some of the 0.73? I know, I'll probably have to give it a try and see what happens and I probably will but depending upon your reply I may figure it is or isn't worth a try.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I've been trying to make one of these darn things for a couple of months but the transistors I had available were apparently not suitable. So I went out today and bought one which was. I'd like to find a way to make the thing more efficient however so it will run at or below 0.73 volts. Any suggestions?
In the textbook blocking-oscillator joule thief, the feedback part of the winding boosts the voltage so you could theoretically run the battery down to about Vce-sat. That's typically 0.4V, but you can get low Vce-sat transistors that go down to about 0.2V.

The sticky wicket is getting enough energy in the base to switch the transistor on in the first place. Most non-rechargeable cells recover a bit while standing, so starting up usually isn't a problem - once its going, you can finish off the cell good and proper.

If you want it to start up at less than 0.7V - you may need to find a source of germanium transistors.

There's an off the shelf chip you can buy for running a white LED from a single cell; PR4401 - just add an inductor and supply decoupling cap and you're good to go.

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
In the textbook blocking-oscillator joule thief, the feedback part of the winding boosts the voltage so you could theoretically run the battery down to about Vce-sat. That's typically 0.4V, but you can get low Vce-sat transistors that go down to about 0.2V.

The sticky wicket is getting enough energy in the base to switch the transistor on in the first place. Most non-rechargeable cells recover a bit while standing, so starting up usually isn't a problem - once its going, you can finish off the cell good and proper.

If you want it to start up at less than 0.7V - you may need to find a source of germanium transistors.

There's an off the shelf chip you can buy for running a white LED from a single cell; PR4401 - just add an inductor and supply decoupling cap and you're good to go.
Thanks for the info Ian!