I don't wish to offend anyone, but what is the value of the Friends option?

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I visit several V-Bulletin sites and they all seem to have the option to create 'Friends'.

However I have never seen others receive or received myself any benefit from this process on any of the sites and can't really see the use of it.

In my early days here I somehow gained one or two 'friends' but have since received more requests than I can cope with.

I really have no idea what to do with these and do not wish to offend anyone by simply refusing - there does not seem to be an option to do anything other than accept or decline.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
It is an extension of the contacts system. Aside from the purpose of egos, one of the areas that it is important is in its integration with your Privacy settings so you can provide profile information, contact information, pictures, etc to the "Friends" subset without having to share this information with anyone else on the site. The name "Friend" might not be the best suited, but that is an issue you would need to take up with Jelsoft (the makers of vbulletin).

You are free to use it or not. It is a global settings so cannot be disabled per-account.

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Does a "decline" operate as a null response, or is the requester informed that his friendship request was declined?

By null, I mean the requester just never hears back about the request. I think that is better than telling someone they have been declined. Its other advantage would be to clear the notifications in one's CP.

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Does a "decline" operate as a null response, or is the requester informed that his friendship request was declined?

By null, I mean the requester just never hears back about the request. I think that is better than telling someone they have been declined. Its other advantage would be to clear the notifications in one's CP.

John
From my brief testing, it appears as though the rejection is silent.

Dave

millwood

Joined Dec 31, 1969
it is a way for those sites to "appear" to be like those social netowrking site like facebook.