I don't think I want to live here anymore

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Murders in our cities are not the consequence of civilization, they are the thread that will cause it to unravel. Why do we tolerate them?

John

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It happens in the west, not here.

Here we can walk peacefully even at the dead of night. I remember those
times. Then I would be scared of the darkness. Now we are scared if any one passes by in the daylight.

I used to say this about the town where I grew up. When I was young I would go to the main street with no problems. All the shopkeepers knew my name. If I had to run an errand for my mother and did not have enough money for the store. The shopkeeper would tell me "no problem, I will put it on your mother's bill and she can pay me later". We had two bakeries, 3 grocery stores. a butcher, a place to get fresh eggs and chickens, 2 shoe stores, a movie theater and several doctors and dentists.

Big news on the street was if there was a fist fight. Maybe once or twice someone pulled a knife but no one was really hurt bad.

This was a time when you came home from school for lunch and mother was there. And cared about you.

Things have changed now. That street has shootings and murders on it several times a year. Children no longer come home from school for lunch and the parents are not at home when they do come home at the end of the day. And that is assuming they are lucky enough to have two parents.

I have made my peace long time ago. There is nothing I want in this world.
I sometimes secretly pray for a quick death you know.

Don't ever say that! You are one of the good people. We need you. As a former Pastor of mine would say "Fight the good fight".

Get involved with your community. You will see that there are still a lot of good people in the world.

I got involved building playgrounds. I went to one of the worst parts of our city to build a playground. I was a little afraid to go. But I went and I met some of the best people I have meet in my life. A few people that really cared about their community even though they knew they were living in hell they still cared.

Plus you live in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Look around you and be thankful for all the wonderful gifts you have been given.

Keep hanging in there. After your long life someday comes to an end, you know you will go to a good place. and all of those people that treat others so horribly will not be there. They will be in another place, someplace horrible.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here's a little tidbit I picked up from History Channel. Even during the most notorious days of the Wild West, say in Tombstone, the murder rate per 1000 population was less than in Detroit today.

John

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You live by the code, you die by the code.In areas where there is alot crime,you either know of a crime,or information
about something,if some one thinks you have violated the code you could be hurt or your family.This go'es on every day
24/7.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Here's a little tidbit I picked up from History Channel. Even during the most notorious days of the Wild West, say in Tombstone, the murder rate per 1000 population was less than in Detroit today.

John
And there are probably more people in Detroit right now than the whole country at that time.

The way I understand it is that those gun fights were just in the movies. With everyone walking around with a hog leg strapped to their waist, not too many people were stupid enough to be causing trouble.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You should know the rule about where you go and where you don,t go.
There another street rule,If you mind your business and don,t look the
bad guy in the eye's and keep going,you get into a no win deal.

You disrespect him either way for looking him in the eye's and not looking
him. Most people know these places an avoid them. North Miami(305)
deadly place,near a major law place.

p.s. no early filing this year,more jobs at H&R Block lost,after this year the refund checks won't be
worth paying to file for,they will take less out of your check. Next year will hurt,no forced saving
to collect. Is H & R a public traded company.

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I look you dead in the eye and I SPIT
I tell you to your face, punk, you aint (rhymes with spit but smells worse)

Ahhh, love songs.. ;)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Murders in our cities are not the consequence of civilization, they are the thread that will cause it to unravel. Why do we tolerate them?

John

Pretty much this. Spin elaborated the concept well. Once cities got to the size where not everybody knew everybody, the "civil" part of civilized seemed to drop a bit. Kindness and respect keep dropping when people try to identify themselves as individuals or groups that are "more equal" than others, rather than all in it(life) together.

I strongly believe the dissolution of the nuclear family had a big part of it, though TV shares most of the blame. "Double income, no kids" is a way of life for a lot of people, just to keep up with the Jones'.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In the last 45 years I have known several people who fled the countries of their birth for one reason or another. It takes extraordinary courage and commitment to do this. As far as I know they have all been successful and none of them has ever regretted their decision. Good Luck to you my friend.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Whoa Loosewire, remember What Jim Croce said;

"you don't tug on Superman's cape
you don't spit into the wind
you don't pull the mask off that ol' Lone Ranger
and you don't mess around with Retched"
Listen to this man, he knows what he is talking about. ;)

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I know this won't be a very popular idea, but it is from my own observation.
Besides the down fall of the nuclear family, when the government went after the mafia/cosa nostra, street and even spousal abuse has gone up. The cops can't be every where(even the Supreme court ruled that).

In the days of the mafia, a lot of the street crime was dealt with at the street level. No cops called you went to a capo, and it was taken care of. Criminals weren't as afraid of the cops as the were of the mob. The cops looked the other way and justice was swift.

Think about it there was no pedophiles, fewer rapes, no drive by shootings, and no home invasions. This may not have been public knowledge but the bad guys new they answered not to the courts but to the local mob.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
My personalitiy keeps me from a lot of harm,I can be around bad guys
and survive. Make U'm laught and respect them.I really respect all you
guys. I am starting my year with a clean slate.