i dont have a 9 pin connector in my pc for pic programming

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by leonheard, Jan 23, 2013.

1. leonheard

Thread Starter Member

Jan 8, 2013
    hi!

i have a pic 16f84 microcontroller, and i need to make a circuit ( programmer ) to connect it to the pc... but i dont have a 9 pin connector female o male in my pc! i dont even have a printer pins.... what can i do?

can i use the ps/2 mouse, keyoboard connector for programming? ( i can solder and stuff.. )

will this simple circuit work? for me?

http://sfprime.net/pic16f84/index.htm

or if u have better give me link please :)

2. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
  3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Seconded... I bought a non-pickit PIC programmer, programmed a few, then wanted to use more sophisticated PICs, out went the programmer and I bought a Pickit 2. I still don't know what happened to that programmer....

Pickit 3 can program all of the PICs, so, get that one...

4. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    tshuck likes this.
  5. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    In my defense, I got it to program parallel EEPROMs, then discovered it could program PICs...:)

6. leonheard

Thread Starter Member

Jan 8, 2013
    okei, thanks for the info :D hmm but why is that circuit carbage?

i thought that it only had to send information to the pic microcontroller from the pc. not playing with it xD

7. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    It's because it can only program, what 4?, PICs, where the Pickit 3 can program all of them... there are a LOT!

Your money is better spent on a device that can program the devices you will probably be moving toward anyway...

8. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Don't know why they are carbage but it is garbage because it does not program all of the chips but more important, it could be full of flaws. Either in the original design or something you did during building.

It might work one time but not another. The PicKits have been around for years. This is no guarantee you won't have problems with every single chip but if you do, you know you can get support from Microchip. Try that with your home built programmer.

Also most of those programmers just program and not debug. The Pickits can do in circuit debugging, a huge benefit.

9. leonheard

Thread Starter Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Great! thanks alot....

10. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    If that is what you have and your funds are limited you can get a USB to serial converter... they sometimes work <grin> depending on your OS.

11. leonheard

Thread Starter Member

Jan 8, 2013
    well... i bought today that usb to serial converter ( usb to rs232 ) , and tried many diy programmers... didnt work :/ i even put some external power supply +5v, like this

http://sciencezero.4hv.org/electronics/com84.htm

ps. the +5 volts i use it external, from a battery, not from the Usb to rs232

12. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    I am too lazy and too tired to give the schematic, anyway, I don't have the URL. It is a website from Argentinia.

I modified it a bit.

The 12V programming voltage is generated from batteries!

You only need 1mA.

I must say I never use it, but it works for some 16F PICs.

13. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Buy a Pic Kit II or III.