I can't Identify this componet, can you?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Ace106, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Ace106

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Componet.jpg Componet.jpg Hello, I am hoping someone can help by Identifing this omponet. I am curious about the NR1. The symbol is unknown to me. Also if someone can explain how to test this componet that would also be very helpful. Thank you all.

2. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    IMNSHO it's an MOV:D

You may test it as you would a Zener diode (without regard to polarity) --- Unless its charred or 'popping' fuses, however, its most likely OK...:)

Best regards
    HP

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    KJ6EAD likes this.
  3. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
  4. Ace106

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Using a DMM I read (OL) out of limits in either direction on the MOV. I now understand this is expected, however if the MOV component is removed from the curcuit should I expect to have continuity in either direction? Should I assume an "OPEN" if I have no continuity in either direction although the MOV looks unharmed.
    Thank you.

5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    If you remove the component from the circuit don't expect a different reading if it already reads OL while in-circuit.

6. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Assuming the MOV is that described on your other thread (i.e. ZNR7K221U):

If you want to test the MOV you will need to apply in excess of 200v through a ballast resistor while observing the drop across same... Again, absent evidence of thermal or mechanical damage, a 'non-leaky' MOV is almost certainly good! --- If you are attempting to troubleshoot the board, I assure you, the MOV is a 'false trail':D

Best regards
    HP