I can't figure this out!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by camobearusa, Jan 2, 2011.

1. camobearusa

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    :confused:I need to build a 12VAC circuit that uses an NE555 GP Bipolar IC that will continuously switch on and off about every 30 seconds indefinitely. It's needed to replace the original homemade circuit that was stolen from a set of gifts given to me by a departed friend. This circuit was meant to be used as a gag to repeatedly open and close a door that used a push button momentary switch to operate.

I do have a background in Bio-Medical electronic equipment repair, although that was about 20 years ago.

Any and all help, especially with diagrams would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    We need more details about the circuit. A 555 timer can be set up to switch states every 30 seconds or so, but must use a DC supply voltage. What is the function of the 12 VAC?

camobearusa likes this.
  3. camobearusa

Jan 2, 2011
    That's the voltage that I have to work with to power the circuit. Building a DC rectifier won't be a problem for me.

4. bearblock

Oct 24, 2008
    have a look at the datasheet for the 555. you want it to continually switch on and off; that's called 'astable' mode. the on and off times are determined by two resistors and a capacitor - there's a formula that you can use to get the values.

camobearusa likes this.
  5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Do you still have the door that requires the open/close switch to operate it?

6. camobearusa

Jan 2, 2011
    SgtWookie: I still have access to the door for which it was originally built for. New manager for the business, though!!! ;-)

7. soda

Dec 7, 2008
    Hi,

What you need is a NE555 "a stable" diagram. I upload a diagram for you.

Just connect your door switch to the relay. If the time is too high, change the cap to a lower one like 10uF or change the pre-set. You can also use the pre-set to set the time

camobearusa likes this.
  8. camobearusa

Jan 2, 2011
    Does it matter what type of diode(silicon or germanium)that this circuit use? Sorry to ask, I've been away from electronics for way too many years!!!

9. soda

Dec 7, 2008
    Sorry, I forgot the say. You can use 2 "IN4002" silicon diodes. It's there to protect the ne555 from back emf.

10. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Yould have quite hard time obtaining germaium ones today. I am not sure if they are even still being made.

11. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Last I heard you could still buy 1N34A diodes