I burned myself with a soldering iron

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
allenph pretty much has it right. get cool water on it ASAP. Try to keep it cool like from an ice pak or a bag of frozen vegtables.

Protect it. There are some nice "burn pads" that act as a "2d skin" that work really well.

Worry more when it breaks the skin.

Yea, had a power failure once and my foot pulled the soldering iron. Don;t try to catch it. It seems to be instinct. Kill that instinct when the item will hurt you.
A while back I did a bit of downloading/research on treating burns, the motorcycle I had at the time was rather ungainly and sometimes I burned my ankle on the exhaust getting off it. It made pretty dry reading, but one of the points I came away with, is that over-cooling a burn can also cause damage that adds to the healing time.

Apparently excluding air from the wound is more important than cooling it, some medics advise wrapping the wound with clingfilm for the trip to hospital. Cooling the wound is more to do with soothing the pain quickly, but running it under cold water does also exclude air for a while.

You can buy small (read expensive) aerosol cans of burn-eez type treatments, in a factory setting you'd have to walk all the way to the first aid point - then maybe have to go looking for the first aid employee. These sprays only do anything useful if you use them instantly after getting the burn - if you have to go and get it, its too late.

Presumably the sprays contain antiseptic and analgesic, the aerosol propellant also acts like a freezer spray, that certainly takes the heat out of the burn - spraying it on your skin can cause a hard frost to form, but those cans are too small for enough to do damage.