I broke it!

jmoffat

Joined Jul 18, 2012
I bought an Arduino Uno to experiment with. I got it to blink the tiny LED associated with pin 13 and now that is all it will do. I tried to change the blink rate and no luck. I don't think it will accept a new program.

Do you think replacing the 28 pin dip chip in the board will fix the problem?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I bought an Arduino Uno to experiment with. I got it to blink the tiny LED associated with pin 13 and now that is all it will do. I tried to change the blink rate and no luck. I don't think it will accept a new program.

Not unless you replace it with a chip that has the Arduino bootloader on it already..

What are the errors you are getting when attempting to program it?

jmoffat

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Thanks for mentioning the boot loader. I didn't know about that. I ordered one with the boot loader. Cost $5. Wish me luck.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I thought the Uno had an onboard programmer, AVRISP mkII, you can put a "Blank" ATmega 328 chip in and pick "Tools|Burn Bootloader" to make it a standalone IC with a bootloader.

Or is that for programming a bootloader on another board connected to this one? I thought the 6 pin ICSP header was for modifying the AVRISP mkII chip itself, rather than the "Arduino Processor".

I suppose I could talk to Google for clarification, but I am prejudice, though I can run Arduino, their IDE should have simulation as well as a MUCH better editing interface, like one that doesn't make '1' look exactly the same as 'l' (you can't pick the font that I can te11).

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
The RobotShop page says it uses the on-board Atmega16U2 as a USB-to-serial converter, not to act as a programmer.... using it as both would have been a better idea, methinks...

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
resetting the board and reloading arduino software onto your computer didn't work? They are pretty hard to break, I know, I've tried.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Messing up the fuse bits can completely lock a user out... It's possible this happened by the sound of things... Does the Arduino IDE give you access to those?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009

If you load the blink sketch, then click the "upload/program" arrow, do you get error messages in orange at the bottom of the screen?

I guess first question would be, is the correct serial port set up and board type set to Uno?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Yeah, it's backward, you need an AVR programmer to load the bootloader onto the IC. Sort of defeats the purpose when there's already another micocontroller on the board anyway...

Solution: Order botn a new Uno AND some spare blank ATMega 328 ICs.

Follow these instructions

It allows an uno to be a limited AVR Programmer, enough to get the bootloader on, anyway, which saves some money. I'd suggest having a standard AVR programming cable so you can work outside the arduino environment. Most of the code can be ported to command line gcc anyway, and you can use a great editor, such as Notepad++

Then add the Arduino keywords to custom language for correct highlighting

Benefits of Notepad++: Extreme! With plugins, you can do everything from indent (in many different "styles", such as K&R, Linux, etc), CVS versioning, diff system to track changes without using CVS, CODE FOLDING, matched braces/indents with dotted lines for long procedures, customize color and fonts, perform about every translation/compression desired, run external compiler/programmer, etc.

The npp editor makes it more tolerable, but there is still no simulation function, or in circuit debugging, so PICAXE wins that battle of the "intro controllers".