I am old but I am happy...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jaygatsby, Feb 23, 2013.

1. jaygatsby

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Give your stories about growing up, a nerd obsessed with electronics, and your fondest memories of tinkering while the other men were at the dance...

Nov 30, 2010
    "I am old but I am happy."

Another song lyric...this one from a Cat Stevens song. (Father and Son)

I'm beginning to suspect that the music plays in your head all the time (like it does in my head).
    jaygatsby likes this.
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I am still alive, does that count? Old age is for survivors.
    shortbus, jaygatsby and DerStrom8 like this.
  4. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    So.. 20 years old, on the road with a show band back when clubs and hotels had live entertainment 6 night's a week. Living in hotels for months on end.

Got bored (can only rehearse and mess around so much).

So I went to Radio Shack, picked up a digital clock kit - which I could actually use. Built it over the next few weeks a midst a lot of snickering and wise cracks. (I thought my buddies would be impressed - especially when I turned it on and it actually worked !)

Instead they just shook there heads and from then on treated me like I was just a bit crazy. ;)
    jaygatsby likes this.
  5. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    I used to make and sell chingers on dead tour back in the early 90's. Thats probably what sparked my interest in electronics. I always had a large computer background but that was my first attempt at embedded stuff. Worked great, made a crap load of money. Then in around 94-95 Bell changed the payment mechanism in their pay phones and they kinda died out. For those who don't remember Chingers were a small digital recording on the click a payphone makes when you put a quarter in it. So this was all before free longdistance. And when you touring the country in a new state every day, calling home can get expensive. So chingers sold like hot cakes. We'd sell em for $20-$40 each. Then when I wound down my corrupt band following hippy life I got into electronics and more computer stuff and kept progressing.
    jaygatsby likes this.