I am leaving this website

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Maybe this is even further off-topic, but I find it ironic that many engineering types, who by training must work with exactitude, can be so careless with capitalization, spelling, and punctuation. If careful attention to detail is important in science and math, it is important in language.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Read the whole of my post.

I can just about understand the language. In this case, it is tough. I would ask him if he could polish up his language, but it would be no biggie.

What seems to irk you is the lack of information given by some people. This does not always mean bad english. People who use perfect English would irk you just the same.

"Sirs, I'm trying to make a big balloon and talk with the people on the ground, with radio. If you can help, please give tell me now, it's urgent!"

Better english, but the lack of information is what you find annoying.

If it was in poor english, but with relevant information, would it annoy you so much?
....not as much, but I addressed that just below the line you quoted:
Then we get to spend the next few posts trying to figure out what that is supposed to be. There are words that exist in one language that another language doesn't, or doesn't apply in the same context.
One language may have a word for a hot air balloon, and another may not...

If either situation annoys you move on.
...and I do, sometimes... this is simply a gripe I have, but that doesn't mean I don't/won't help if I can, nor that I would apply that frustration in my response.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I dunno... I accept text stuff in forum posts cause its faster. I also except bad grammer cause its faster. So I don't mind people using U for you, or R for are, or Ain't for Are not going to. Some times I'll even try to spell out street slang which is hard but its usually not too hard to figure out and its rare I post it. I don't do this in the real forum myself though just off topic. I've been staying away from the real forum for a while till I get stuck. I'm not good enough to give really good advice so I abstain and let more knowlegable answer it. If its really simple though I'll try to answer it.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I really don't like abbreviations and bad grammar, in cases where the writer can do better. Especially in mails from my professors.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Consider the idea that slang and misspelling are harder on the non-English OP than they are on us. The OP struggles to be understood. Replying in other than standard English pretty much guarantees a fail.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Consider the idea that slang and misspelling are harder on the non-English OP than they are on us. The OP struggles to be understood. Replying in other than standard English pretty much guarantees a fail.
Excellent point that applies to idioms as well. I found that out in the Far East, when I replied to a question about my appetite to the effect that I could eat a horse. Guess what we had for dinner.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I dunno... I accept text stuff in forum posts cause its faster. I also except bad grammer cause its faster. So I don't mind people using U for you, or R for are, or Ain't for Are not going to. Some times I'll even try to spell out street slang which is hard but its usually not too hard to figure out and its rare I post it. I don't do this in the real forum myself though just off topic. I've been staying away from the real forum for a while till I get stuck. I'm not good enough to give really good advice so I abstain and let more knowlegable answer it. If its really simple though I'll try to answer it.

When you are texting between your budies then yes it is fine. On a forum such as this it is simply unacceptable. The way I figure it is that if you can't take the time to express yourself as clearly as possible then I can't take the time to help you.

#12 brings up a good point but it goes the other way too. Someone with poor English skills and using text short cuts could be nearly imposssible to understand.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
spinnaker said:
Fine and if your questions go ignored. You will only be hurting yourself.
Joke's on you Spinniker. I don't need answers.

Besides, most helpful people aren't the grammer nannies.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I have sometimes been absent for months.

However there is no other good forum for electronics. What choice do I have?

On other forums either graphical violence is done all day, or the moderators are arrogant. Or both things.

I have sometimes just received ho-hum or nonsense replies, not really covering the question, not giving a solution, or even talking about something which I did not ask.

The moderators on this forum to me look like regular, civilized people.

You don't get banned just because you post pictures from a cheap chinese radio PCB.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
When you are texting between your budies then yes it is fine. *On a forum such as this it is simply unacceptable. *The way I figure it is that if you can't take the time to express yourself as clearly as possible then I can't take the time to help you.

#12 brings up a good point but it goes the other way too. *Someone with poor English skills and using text short cuts could be nearly imposssible to understand.
I only use slang and abbreviations in Off Topic so I just do it to save time. I figure it can be a learning experience if someone doesn't know and their playing in Off Topic with me and loosie and they gang. :) In the real forums I try to be professional and give as much info as possible. When talking in TXT I just do it in off topic to save time. If it bothers Everwun I quit dough! ;)

Fine and if your questions go ignored. You will only be hurting yourself.
This is off topic Spinnaker he's just playing with yah! Also some of my grammer errors are because my KB broke and I'm using a small laptop BT KB. Sometimes I miss keys.

Last edited:
"Sirs, I'm trying to make a big balloon and talk with the people on the ground, with radio. If you can help, please give tell me now, it's urgent!"
People to whom English is not their native language, usually avoid intentional mistakes because they already have so many grammatical mistakes that make their post hard to understand and they can't risk more.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
People to whom English is not their native language, usually avoid intentional mistakes because they already have so many grammatical mistakes that make their post hard to understand and they can't risk more.
Some do and some don't. My irritation comes from a few members who assume every grammatical mistake made means the poster is lazy or doesn't care. Mistakes are a fact of life. If members don't want to help, they should move on to the next topic, and not jam up the thread with endless banter about 'proper grammer.' That doesn't help at all.