I am going to pruchase one surface mounting machine

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I used to have a nice Mirrea back in the day. We got it from Tyco. Our rep said in 2008 they broke their contract with Mirrea and had to litterally throw away $50k machines in the dumpster cause Mirrea didn't want em back, and Tyco wouldn't pay for em. I was drooling thinking about someone who walked into that lot and found all those pick and place machines.
And yes its called a pick and place machine and prices have falled way way way down low. 5 years ago a decent system would cost $100k+ now a full system can be had for $5k.

Now when buying one.....Oh boy.. Look at the nozzles to pick up the chips and see if it has all the sizes you need, check all the pnuematic lines, those pop every month or so, so buy back up tubing. Then make sure it takes reels and tubes.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
When we were being trained on it, the rep said he'd been all over the world teaching and fixing PnP, reflow's, etc... He said the craziest thing he saw was in the Phillipeans, he was helping this company calibrate their oven and this is a place that ran a lot of boards and had been in biz for years. Anyways he said they were all working and at lunch they litterally put their food on the reflows conveyor and cooked it in their soldering reflow oven. He said he freaked out. They acted like it was no biggie.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
When we were being trained on it, the rep said he'd been all over the world teaching and fixing PnP, reflow's, etc... He said the craziest thing he saw was in the Phillipeans, he was helping this company calibrate their oven and this is a place that ran a lot of boards and had been in biz for years. Anyways he said they were all working and at lunch they litterally put their food on the reflows conveyor and cooked it in their soldering reflow oven. He said he freaked out. They acted like it was no biggie.
The first time I went to a Quiznos's (non-North Americans please Google it) I thought their sandwich over looked just like a reflow over we had at one location.

As far as *my* personal SMD assembly machine, here it is:

Low volume but very high precision.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've warmed my lunch on my exhaust manifold, and seen guys cook on an extruder.

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
we also use reflows oven,and have not used it as heater:p

Long-distance truck drivers in Africa often stop to pick up road-killed rodents, gut them and affix them close to the exhaust manifold, where they become rat-jerky after a couple more hours rolling down the highway.

I love the smell of exhaust fumes in the morning. It smells like dinner.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Long-distance truck drivers in Africa often stop to pick up road-killed rodents, gut them and affix them close to the exhaust manifold, where they become rat-jerky after a couple more hours rolling down the highway.

I love the smell of exhaust fumes in the morning. It smells like dinner.
People do that here in the US. Its not too bad because road kill you can smell and see if its ok to eat. But I'd eat Rat or Roadkill 1000 times before I ate a pizza out of a lead reflow oven. :)