I am desperate for this Inductor

Dynaman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Okay....

I think 2 db is a bit buch to sacrifice... 1/2 I could probably get away with.

I tried to repair it, but too much coating. To chip at it would damage any wire.

Now the op amp Idea is not bad at all, I guess I could use a zener and tap off the power supply... And I could probably put something on circuit maker...

I'll have to see if the customer wants to pay the extra time.

Okay... I'm thinking.. 3rd order bandpass?

Aram

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Why not just get a 6H inductor, then add an external resistance to make it 100Ω. 2 components, much simplier.

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
Okay....

I think 2 db is a bit buch to sacrifice... 1/2 I could probably get away with.

I tried to repair it, but too much coating. To chip at it would damage any wire.

Now the op amp Idea is not bad at all, I guess I could use a zener and tap off the power supply... And I could probably put something on circuit maker...

I'll have to see if the customer wants to pay the extra time.

Okay... I'm thinking.. 3rd order bandpass?

Aram
i think you can wind your own. choose a AWG size from what i listed and then see which one will fit best on a small toroid core. or, do what you can to wind a 6H by hand (or buy a 6H) and then adjust ohms(dc) with a parallel resistor. you should be able to get what you need as off-the-shelf with some minor tweaking, etc.

millwood

Joined Dec 31, 1969

what's the impedance of a 6h inductor vs. that of the same 6h inductor // a 100ohm resistor?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The wire resistance is in series, not parallel though. An equivalent circuit is the 100Ω is series with an ideal inductance.

Dynaman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
That's funny you fellas mention this.. Last night while trying to sleep, I kind of thought the same thing....How about this:

Take a 100 ohm 2w carb comp resistor, and then make two baby washers out of a piece of credit card plastic or cardboard, then slip these on both ends of the the resistor making a bobbin... With me so far???

Now take any magnet wire... say 28 awg or something easier to work with that is less risky of breakage and use a drill to wind it onto the resistor. Then I could periodically stop, scrape a little enamel off, take an L or Q measurement, and continue until I hit my mark. It wouldn't be an iron core, so would need more wire than usual, but it may work. After winding, just wire both devices in series, and spread hot glue or epoxy around it.

Thoughts???

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
why wind on the resistor? in order to use a series resistor the dc ohms of the inductor needs to be less than 100ohms. not sure if you can reach 6H with less than 100ohms. a ferrite cored multi-layer cylinder coil is probably the easiest to wind. using the inductance equations see if you can achieve 6H with 100ohms or less.

Dynaman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Well my thought is go with 90 ohms on the R or just use any wire, see where we are at , then compensate with proper resistance..

I guess I could strip a choke, and then add a resistor? right?

Aram;)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Like I said, get a 6H coil, measure the resistance, then compensate as needed to make 100Ω. You can use a small off the shelf part that way.

Millwood kinda detracted from that thought, I think he thought the resistance was in parallel or something.

Like I said, get a 6H coil, measure the resistance, then compensate as needed to make 100Ω. You can use a small off the shelf part that way.

Millwood kinda detracted from that thought, I think he thought the resistance was in parallel or something.
What is to be done if the 6 H inductor already has 500 ohms resistance?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You can try it, but I don't think it is usable that way (it would probably work pretty closely though). I was thinking of a lower ohmage part, I saw several during my search.

Dynaman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Okay.. Here is my pathetic attempt....

It became super fat. It's about 3/4" thick now and only 50 mh. To get to 6 H, it would probably look like a krispy kreme donut. It is 35 awg wire, and has a resistance of about 14.5 ohms.

I stripped a choke from radio shack 273-102 ... a 100uH choke and used the core...

This thing is too huge... It looks like my hopes and dreams for all of humanity have been shattered...

Aram::(

Attachments

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
a multi-layer cylinder needs to be done on a bobbin, and the core needs to be ferrite or other, and wound precisely.

lets forget the 100ohms(dc) part, 6H in a small package needs thin wire and wound precisely. a multi-layer cylinder is a easy to wind on, but the toroid yields better H but is much harder to wind by hand.

do you have a inductance meter? if so can you post a pic of the mystery inductor on the meter.

Dynaman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
I have an inductance meter, but I have already posted a pic of the mystery inductor... What else do you need to know?

Aram:)