i am about to go crazy about digital electronics

dig1

Joined Jul 31, 2008
digital electronics is supposed to be the easiest of the subjects in EE... and yet i hate it...any advice from folks that felt this way? i love love math and analog systems... and i had staked out to be involved in DSP sometime after graduation... i am wondering if my distaste for Digital electronics is going to hamper me in that field

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
digital electronics is supposed to be the easiest of the subjects in EE... and yet i hate it...any advice from folks that felt this way? i love love math and analog systems... and i had staked out to be involved in DSP sometime after graduation... i am wondering if my distaste for Digital electronics is going to hamper me in that field
I would say, if you really have a knack for analog design, you'll be wasting your time and energy in digital design. In addition, there is a LOT less competition for analog designers in the real world, especially if you include R.F. design.

Eric

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
Just an opinion, but I think the days that an engineer (or engineering student) could specialize in just digital or just analog while ignoring the other discipline are over. The two disciplines are just too intertwined these days that you would only do yourself and your future career a great disservice if you don't master the course material for both disciplines.

Lefty

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
From what you have posted for homework help, I think you are missing "The Big Picture".

When shown one gate at a time, and need to learn everything about it, then the next one... That doesn't help you learn.

When I was in 1st year digital, the "Final Project" is at the beginning, so you see it working and doing nifty things. Then each part of it is discussed on what is needed to make it happen. Things make MUCH more sense when you know the overall reason why a certain digital construct is needed, instead of learning about all the different objects, then trying to decide what is supposed to be used where.

Stick with it, it will all become clear, eventually.

As lefty stated, there aren't many fields left where one can work in purely analog, or purely digital, or hardware only. Today it is a mix of analog, digital, and software. You need to tackle all of them. Once you work with software on a logic system you designed, it all falls into place.

scythe

Joined Mar 23, 2009
leftyretro is right. If you don't like digital design, you may want to reconsider being an electrical/computer engineer. On top of this, keep in mind that the engineers who survive layoffs are the ones who keep learning and adapt to new technology. Specializing in only ONE particular aspect or field of engineering is not enough, as the fields themselves are continually evolving.