hypothetical cnc machine with stepper motors

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by vane, Apr 4, 2007.

1. vane

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 28, 2007
    supposing i was gonna' try to make a cnc machine with stepper motors would the circuitry be easy to make? thanks

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Kinda depends on your experience and resources.

3. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Probably not. Stepper motors have generally poor speed torque characteristics and are subject to electrical and mechanical resonances. They can require large standby current to hold their position. The biggest problem is that they are normally controlled open loop. Real CNC machines use DC electric servo motors with a supply of 300 VDC or larger and are controlled closed loop.

Still, if your burning to try then knock yourself out.

4. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    The fact that you are asking for suggestions would indicate that you might benefit from experimenting with stepper motor design on a small scale as a means of familiarizing yourself with the different types of stepper motors and driver circuits. This will allow you to experience firsthand some of the characteristics of stepper motors and thereby be in a better position to judge their suitablity for use in implementing cnc machines.

hgmjr

5. kender

Jan 17, 2007
    It depends on the type of the machine. Did everyone just assume a mill?

Steppers are impractical, when you need to apply force and torque. Steppers are practical, when something needs to be postioned without a lot of force and acceleration. So, steppers would work for a laser cutter or CNC drill-press.

6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    An engraving table with a diamond drag tool or a single flute cutter was my thought.

7. vane

Feb 28, 2007
    i make rc planes and wondered if i could make a machine that cut out the parts acurately, really want is a two axis machine that i could attach tools to to draw, cut vinyl, cut wood etc, thanks

8. kender

Jan 17, 2007
    Speaking of RC airplanes, once I've used a CNC hot-wire foam cutter made with stepper motors.

9. vane

Feb 28, 2007
    cool! i wish i had one of them!

10. vane

Feb 28, 2007
    ive been thinking about getting an old printer and instead of the ink pump i have a little tool that goes down and drills a hole, it may be good for a start.

11. vane

Feb 28, 2007
    can i have it? :)

12. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
  13. kender

Jan 17, 2007
    That was one of a kind machine put together in early 1990s by graduate students of Stanfors Aero&Asto department. I'll post the pictures, if I get a chance to take them.

BTW, here's a link to somebody's home-built cutter: http://www.8linx.com/cnc/day1.htm
    and this page has some nuce CAD drawings of foam cutters http://www.tekoa.com

14. vane

Feb 28, 2007