Hyperlink use between articles

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Mihai Olteanu, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Mihai Olteanu

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Why is there no use of hyperlink between articles ?

This is really frustrating when you read the book. Even more frustrating if you didn't go from start to finish in the first place. Quite often, the words "as we discussed in a previous chapter" are used. You really want to go back to that chapter and polish your understanding of the subject, but you don't really know what that chapter is, or how you can find out. A simple hyperlink back to that chapter/article would be a life saver.

Also, technical terms, like "Ohm's Law", "impedance", "zener diode", etc., could all be hyperlinked from the place where they appear back to the page where they are first introduced and discussed at large, so that the reader doesn't get a "what does that thing mean?" feeling, or even go to a different place altogether just to find out the answer.

This "simple" addition could greatly benefit the user experience, and also the page optimization for search engines (I think).
  2. jrap

Jun 25, 2006
    Hi there,

I think you have some really great suggestions, and appreciate the input. I'd also like to see the added links, and I imagine down the road the book will have them implemented. It's certainly a large undertaking however, and time consuming to say the least. It's something I'm going to research, there may be a way to do this algorithmically, which would be ideal.

Thanks again

3. Mihai Olteanu

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It is a lot of work indeed, but I think it's worth the time.

I'm doing the same thing for the Romanian version.

I don't see how you could do it automatically; you would want to hyperlink only the relevant keywords/content that are especially important for the topic discussed, I guess you don't need to send the user back to the "definition of current" when he's already reading advanced topics in semiconductors volume.

Of course, you have to know the content very well to know what and where to link (I'm using external links also, where there are no articles in the book to explain a certain topic), but besides that, it's just a matter of copy/paste and adding tags.

Hope this helps.