Hydrogen Fuel Cell Powering itself

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by gusmas, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gusmas

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Evening

I wanted to continue on my old post regarding hydrogen fuel cells but this is a different issue.

Now for hydrogen fuel cell to start up an external power source is required to supply power to the hydrogen fuel cell system, once power is supplied the chemical reaction takes place and electrical power is produced.

Now this hydrogen fuel cell will be fitted into a vehicle and the main goal is to make this car as GREEN as possible. Once power is produced by the hydrogen fuel cell, then I want to use the power that's being produced and use it to supply it to the fuel cell system itself and to remove the external power source, resulting in hydrogen fuel cell powering itself.

U guys have any ideas on techniques I can use? :)

I was thinking of running the external source and the output power of the fuel cell in parallel and then to remove the external source but quickly found on the internet thats a big no.

2. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    You need the fuel cell to power this, and from that power the hydrogen generator. Otherwise it won´t work.

3. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    The reason you found this to be "a big no" is that producing hydrogen is very inefficient. It takes a lot of power to get little out of it.

4. gusmas

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 27, 2008
    yes I know... but its just in the prototyping phase. To generate interest.

Ok let me get tecnical:

The fuel cell system is divided into 2 parts:

1. The fuel cell controller (switch)
    2. The fuel cell stack (Generates power).

My controller is rated at 13V,10A thus i will use a DC psu to supply the power. once the controller is happy it switches on the whole system and electricity is produced. Now the output power that is produced by the whole system is more than enough. It can produce 20A, at 48V (its a 1kW system).

I will have a buck converter to make sure that output voltage from the whole system is regulated to around 13V, once that is done... I want to connect the regulated output voltage to the fuel cell controller, then remove the external source and then it is powering itself......

and yes the fuel cell will also power a motor latere on, just need this to work first.

5. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Then you could simply use the stepped down output of the fuel cell and the dc supply in parallel, but with diode on output of each supply. This way the controller will use the supply with higher voltage, so when the fuel cell with the step down converter is running properly you can simply turn off the aux dc supply.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    There are several issues here, which I will go over one by one.

Automotive applications are not allowed on AAC.

The paragraph I have outlined in thread suggests you are thinking overunity. That is how I interpret the text. It takes about 6-20 X more energy to create hydrogen than you can get from using hydrogen as a fuel. That is a loss of 2000%. If you are using hydrogen as fuel you could power a car, but you can not make hydrogen on board. This is called overunity, the creation of energy from nothingness.

Over unity is not allowed on this site. It is a fundamental violation of the laws of physics.

Follow the logic, it is really simple. Matter and energy are the same things, two sides of the same coin. So can you summon matter from nothingness? When you think about it this is one of the core beliefs of magic.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.