Hydrogen and fuel system

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by t06afre, Jan 17, 2010.

1. t06afre

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    I hope most poster in this forum now know my attitude regarding HHO and overunity by now. But just out of curiosity. Is it possible to use hydrogen on a fuel injected engine or do it have to be a carburettor engine

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I think it would be, but I think you would have to adjust the air/fuel ratio. Guess what I'm saying is I would be interested in this also.

If solar cells became cheap I could see running a car off of hydrogen.

4. Paulo540

Nov 23, 2009
    BMW has been experimenting with Hydrogen powered cars since the 70s. The entire ground fleet of the Munich (Munchen) airport runs off of it.

From what I understand it doesn't take a lot of modification, except for the bottle in the trunk. I don't feel H2 is really anymore scary than gasoline (which has more energy potential than either H2 or Propane).

Adding propane to diesel can be a hoot though.

5. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Mythbusters took a carbureted vehicle completely unmodified and had a tank of hydrogen. They opened the tank and held the hose over the intake. The vehicle ran but backfired after a few cycles.

I would reccommend trying with a fuel injected vehicle. You would have to replace the injectors. most injectors are peizo based and the hydrogen, not being a liquid, wouldn't meter correctly. Once you had the combustion area size, you could calculate the amount of hydrogen needed per stroke and wha-la!

The hydrogen can also self ignite from hot gas left over from combustion, and spark plugs.