HV Transformers

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Overclocked2300, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Overclocked2300

Thread Starter Senior Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Well I recently Salvaged a Microwave Transformer, smaller than usual though, but I want to put power to it. I know I'll get 2000kV out, but I have an idea.

I have 2 120 to 44.5V Transformers that are capable of only 1Amp or so(I really dont know) So I was thinking that if I hooked them up like this:

120 to 44.5 resistor 44.5 to 120

I would have an isolation transformer. Now the purpose of the resistor is so I dont fry myself in the process or cause a circuit to blow,since Ive read these things can blow a 20Amp circuit breaker. The current will be limited to around 5mA.

2. n9xv

Jan 18, 2005
    The resistor will fry simply by turning on power to the transformer! A much better way to limit the current would be to double fuse the 44.5-VAC windings. One in each leg. If thats 44.5 Volts @ 1-Amp, I would try to fuse it for 2-Amps or less for experimental purposes. Actually, I would fuse the 120-VAC from the wall outlet lest the whole experiment go arrye! The 2-kV is still very leathal! What are you going to do with 2-kV?

I did some experimentation with a similar transformer and could spike the secondary up to almost 5-Kv by pulsing the primary with a 9-VDC battery!

3. Overclocked2300

Apr 24, 2005
    No it wont, In a capactive filtering circuit when power is first switched on all that is seen is a dead short so how would a resistor fry? Sure it would fry if I had too much current and exceeded its power rating.

I need 2kV For a jaccobs ladder or experimentation to make one or other HV stuff..

4. n9xv

Jan 18, 2005
    In your origional post you did not specify any kind of capacitive filtering. What are you filtering between the 44.5-VAC windings? For an isolation transformer setup, it should be a simple direct connection.

5. Overclocked2300

Apr 24, 2005
    I dont want to turn it into DC. The Resistor is there because I perfur it not to be on the 120 Side. Anyway A transformer only supplies what is taken from it.