HV power supply for vacuum tube

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by solaris9123, Dec 23, 2014.

1. solaris9123

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 23, 2014
    hey guys,
    i'm new to this site and i want to ask my first electronics question.

let's say you were going to build an inverter to supply -2000 V DC to the anode of an 1100 Watt microwave magnetron; from a 12V battery.
    how would you do it?

I want to build a PSU to convert 12 or 24 volts DC to the high voltage needed to drive such a tube, while using as few transformers as possible. i know for a typical microwave oven you need not only the anode voltage, but also AC voltage to the filament of the tube. what does this need to be?

If i use 2 deep cycle marine batteries, would it be better to hook them up in series and have a 24 volt system, or parallel @ 12 volts to deliver the most continuous power over the longest rate?
    what kind of circuit would I need to go from 12/24 V DIRECTLY to -2000 for the tube?
    could i use a DC-DC converter and eliminate the need for a transformer?

If i build such a power pack, i'd like it to be as light and portable as possible. that's why i'd rather not have any large coils/transformers in the system

2. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    magnetrons do not use dc, they use pulse or unfiltered, rectified ac. there are transformers for building inverter power suppllies for the high voltage, of any input voltage you want to use. is this for radar? if so, the duty cycle isnt very high, and the supply can be built very light. most marine and arcraft radar dosnt use much from the batteries, due to the low duty cycle. if you want a high power microwave cw signal, be prepared to spend a lot on the power supply.