Human Following Robot with implementation of FPGA`s

hzk17

Joined Mar 20, 2013
I am going to enter my last year of Electronic Engineering, so for our final year projects, we submitted proposals. First our project was Human Following Robot using 'GPS & Xbee', by subtraction of frames we would have a lock-on on our user and know his position & then follow him one or many units would be placed on the robot and a single unit would be put in the pocket of the user, but anyhow it was rejected, now our teachers have said to us research on making a Human Following Robot with Image Processing using FPGA`s, I have searched and have found that LOGi FPGA is available for use with either Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone. So my main question is that is this project feasible can it be made, and can Kinect or other cameras be interfaced with the LOGi i have seen only the LOGi cams having model no. OV---, can other cameras be also interfaced with it. Also please suggest some good projects related to robotics. Thanks

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
It is feasible, but IMO, too ambitious for a school project. When I worked at Lockheed for a year, they had invested a lot of money and had a number of programmers working on using video for tracking. You won't have the budget to duplicate that.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
This is a homework project, so our rules for homework help should apply. First, what research into this topic have you done? I am aware of OpenCV, but not familiar with FPGAs. So a quick google... There are many references to FPGA image processing and FPGA video processing. Which have you read?

With a little research, you can likely answer most of your questions. And any further questions, we may be able to help with once you show where you are stuck.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Output from a Kinect is a stream of video data and a stream of depth (distance to subject) data so yes it could be processed with an FPGA

hzk17

Joined Mar 20, 2013
Thanks @djsfantasi for your reply I was busy with my semester exams now they are finished, I have done little research. But i wanted to know what you guys know.
This is a homework project, so our rules for homework help should apply. First, what research into this topic have you done? I am aware of OpenCV, but not familiar with FPGAs. So a quick google... There are many references to FPGA image processing and FPGA video processing. Which have you read?

With a little research, you can likely answer most of your questions. And any further questions, we may be able to help with once you show where you are stuck.