Huge Book of Cool Circuits

Discussion in 'The Flea Market' started by Ron H, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron H

Ron H Thread Starter E-book Developer

Darn! I had this ready to post, and accidentally deleted it while previewing it.:mad:

Some of you guys may know of, or even own, this book. I have Modern Electronic Circuits Reference Manual by John Markus, published in 1980 by McGraw-Hill.
    It is 9" wide X 11" high X 3" thick, and weighs about 7 lbs. It has over 1220 pages, with over 3600 schematics.
    There is a Buy It Now on Ebay for US $25.95. I'll ship it to the highest bidder over $6.00, which is about what it will cost to ship it (including Paypal fee).
    I'm attaching a few random pictures. The schematic pages shown are very typical of every page.
    Be sure to look at the table of contents too.
    I'll leave the bidding open through March 31. Highest bidder (if any) over $6 gets it.

EDIT: I will only ship within the US, unless an offshore bidder wants to pay the difference in shipping costs, which are exorbitant.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
    DerStrom8 likes this.
  2. Bill_Marsden

Bill_Marsden Moderator Staff Member

I think I have a much older revision of this book. I will talk to you off line about my bidding.
  3. Bill_Marsden

I don't think you posted the right link? Am I wrong?

That or there was an error how you set it up, it is sold for $19, no shipping fees.
  4. MrChips

MrChips Moderator Staff Member

I suppose the one I have is the 1968 version "Sourcebook of Electronic Circuits", with blue and white book cover. How different is the 1980 version?
  5. Ron H

Mine has about 300 more pages, weighs about 2 lbs more, and is about a half inch thicker.
    Just think of all the new technology that emerged between 1968 and 1980.:rolleyes:
  6. steveb

steveb Senior Member

I have a version from 1971. I really like this book because all circuits have all components and values specified and a reference to where the circuit was originally published, in case the user wants more information.

This edition of the book has nearly 1000 pages, in fairly small font. The attached page shows the density of information inside.

About 10 years ago, my wife found this at the free book exchange at the local dump. When she saw the expression on my face, she knew she had given me a present better than anything she could have bought. I can endorse this book, in any edition, as worth owning.

Attached Files:

7. MrChips

MrChips Moderator Staff Member

A lot nicer gift than that old plaid tie she bought you for Christmas, I bet.
  8. Bill_Marsden

So what is the link? The one on the first post isn't valid.

It occurs I'm shooting myself in the foot doing this here instead of via PM.
  9. Ron H

I can't find the one I saw for $24.95. It's paper cover was in about the same condition as mine. That might have been the one I posted. Perhaps he had it open for bidding, with Buy It Now for $24.95.

Here's one from the UK for GBP 20.00 (about US $31.69). Unfortunately, shipping is $51.

I don't get it.:confused:
  10. Bill_Marsden

What is your eBay name? Or are you bidding here?
  11. Ron H

My Ebay name is rmaxh, but I'm not selling on Ebay. I expect all the bidding to be done by PM, on this forum. I will post the highest current bid, but will not identify the bidder.
  12. Georacer

Georacer Moderator Staff Member

I 'm a Europe resident and an avid internet resources user; Two reasons for me to not bid. It looks very interesting, though.

...oooohhhmmm...

After an hour-long meditation, I resisted bidding.
  13. Ron H

I agree with the shipping cost issue. I don't think you could find 10% of the circuits in this book on the internet, probably much less. That doesn't mean, of course, that you can't find other solutions or ideas that will work as well. Also - you will obviously not find microcontrollers in this book.
  14. Sparky49

Sparky49 Active Member

Yeah, but who needs microcontrollers? :p
  15. Ron H

I gotta confess that I am a very good circuit designer, but I never learned to program uCs. I bought a PIC programming kit and built it, and played around, lighting some LEDs, but I guess I just wasn't motivated enough to learn to program it.
    Back after the Apple II came out (you young guys are like, What's an Apple II?), I got pretty good at 6502 assembly language programming, but it was so different from modern uCs that I would have to start almost from scratch.
  16. Sparky49

Sparky49 Active Member

I know what an Apple II is.

[​IMG]

:p
  17. Ron H

Is that a cheap version of this?
    [​IMG]
    Sparky49 likes this.
  18. Bill_Marsden

OK. It only took 18 posts for me to understand that. I think I'm getting thicker than usual. I have a cool Apple video I will post in off topic I think you guys will either like or hate.
    Sparky49 likes this.
  19. nerdegutta

nerdegutta Well-Known Member

I'm in Norway, but my girlfriends brother and mother is living in the US. The brother is living in Chicago, the mother - not sure. But she is coming to Norway this summer. Perhaps you are willing to send it to him/her?

Got any bids yet? And what would actually shipping to Norway cost?
  20. Ron H

I received a bid today for $20.
    I assume shipping to Norway would be at least US $51. If you want it shipped to a US address, your bid would have to be at least $21. If you bid, please do it by PM.