HP power supply

DDan

Joined Jun 24, 2013
Hi there folks. The other day I picked up a brand new bose sounddock for free, with no power cord, so I'm trying to come up with a creative way to power this thing up.

The pinout on the back of this guy is:
|oo| <--- ground ground
|oo| <--- +18DC -18DC @1a

Now I have an old HP printer power supply here - so I'm wondering if there is any way to get the right voltages out of it?

Its throwing 32v @ 1100mA on one side and
16v @1600mA on the other.

New power supplies on Ebay for the sounddock are like $50.00 which is like half the cost of a brand new unit... I'm a severe electronics/circuits noob - but have great soldering skills.

Thanks a ton for the help! I'll zip up three jpgs and attach here.

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I would give it a try. You have nothing to loose - you have both and paid nothing for either.

I like to do experiments on a cement floor with a fire extinguisher near by. I also use a switched power strip when I plug anything in so I can cut the power easily if I see/smell smoke.

Good luck.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hi there folks. The other day I picked up a brand new bose sounddock for free, with no power cord, so I'm trying to come up with a creative way to power this thing up.

The pinout on the back of this guy is:
|oo| <--- ground ground
|oo| <--- +18DC -18DC @1a

Now I have an old HP printer power supply here - so I'm wondering if there is any way to get the right voltages out of it?

Its throwing 32v @ 1100mA on one side and
16v @1600mA on the other.

New power supplies on Ebay for the sounddock are like $50.00 which is like half the cost of a brand new unit... I'm a severe electronics/circuits noob - but have great soldering skills.

Thanks a ton for the help! I'll zip up three jpgs and attach here.
You can buy a 18V/1A power supply complete for $9. Buy two and use one as the negative rail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-1...469?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ca184e345

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-1...purpose_AC_to_DC_Adapters&hash=item5aeac79153