frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Three options, I guess:
* the backlight is bad
* the inverter is bad
* both are bad

Well, Ok, I though of another. Video chip/board broke. I have read about that happening (look up problems with apple ibook g3), but I never experienced that personally.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Dumber approach: Assume the OS is corrupt. Load any bootable disk and see if the display responds.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Dumber approach: Assume the OS is corrupt. Load any bootable disk and see if the display responds.
If OS is corrupt/not working/not booting to OS, you still should have the initial boot screen with the option to enter BIOS. If that is not available, then it is something physically wrong, not software.

ErnieHorning

Joined Apr 17, 2014
Both batteries should work. The DV6 that you ordered is a higher capacity then the DV5, so I will last longer before needing to be charged.

So, do you have the external supply? Batteries don’t come charged. If so, remove the battery and just power the Notebook with the AC supply only.

Where did you get the battery and is it new or used? If it’s used, it could be bad.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Thank you all for your input;
well nice tips which i will add to my repair notes,but i have another tip that solved my issue,it was one of the 2 slots of Memo that was bad,i took to long to figure it out, like you guys i did not think that mem would be the trouble but it was.Thanks again.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Hello, Frank.

You say that one of the memory slots was bad?

Do you really mean that one of the memory modules was having trouble?

If so what did you do about it?

It may not actually be faulty at all, just displaced in its slot, or the slot got some dust in it, or there was some other contact problem.

I hear tell that $ bills (do they still exist) are good for cleaning contacts - rub them with paper before replacement.

This is a common problem with plug in modules due to heat induced expansion and contraction.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hello, Frank.

You say that one of the memory slots was bad?

Do you really mean that one of the memory modules was having trouble?

If so what did you do about it?

It may not actually be faulty at all, just displaced in its slot, or the slot got some dust in it, or there was some other contact problem.

I hear tell that $ bills (do they still exist) are good for cleaning contacts - rub them with paper before replacement.

This is a common problem with plug in modules due to heat induced expansion and contraction.
Well i just removed the top slot and kept the down one still nothing then i removed the down slot and replaced it with the top one and it started to work with only 2gb i've assumed right away that it was faulty then i had a spare one in my scrap put it there and started machine and checked and i had 4gb ram,so i threw that one in the trash.