hp 6267b power supply problem need help

pastinsain

Joined Aug 25, 2012
problem ,... the power supply volts needle gage is very slow returning to 0 volt after turning off.
I think part of the problem is that i had two supplies connected in series with diodes and one of the diodes fell off the output terminals. Thats when I noticed
the slow return to 0 volts of the volt meter. When I set the volts to like 35v and then turn off supply, the needle will take a long time 3 min to return to 0 volts
In addition, after turning off supply the ne

pastinsain

Joined Aug 25, 2012
I'm sorry I didn't finish the power supply problem.
problem...2 when I turn off the supply, the volts needle gage will drift upward from about 3 volts to 10 volts then takes a long time to settle back to 0 volts.
What happen the the circuit when the protection diode fell off when I had it connected in series with another power supply?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
problem ,... the power supply volts needle gage is very slow returning to 0 volt after turning off.
I think part of the problem is that i had two supplies connected in series with diodes and one of the diodes fell off the output terminals. Thats when I noticed
the slow return to 0 volts of the volt meter. When I set the volts to like 35v and then turn off supply, the needle will take a long time 3 min to return to 0 volts
In addition, after turning off supply the ne
Have a look whether the BAMA boat anchor website is still going - I got the schematics for an old HP RF signal generator there.

Mine had a 200V minus rail regulated by a 180V glow tube to stabilise the positive rail cathode follower.

On mine; the glow tube had gone OC, too much negative voltage in the regulation circuit translated into low voltage on the positive rail.

pastinsain

Joined Aug 25, 2012
thank you , I will try that, however , the back volts/ current from the other supply connected in series protection diode falling off did something to the circuit .

pastinsain

Joined Aug 25, 2012
I found this in the hp file at boat anchor ...
""3-68 Active loads connected to the power supply
may actually deliver a reverse current to the power
supply during a portion of its operating cycle. An
external source cannot be allowed to pump current
into the supply without loss of regulation and pos-
sible damage to the output capacitor. To avoid
these effects, it is necessary to preload the supply
with a dummy load resistor so that the power supply
delivers current through the entire operation cycle
of the load device"" .. end quote ... I may have damaged the output cap when the diode fell off during the series connection!

pastinsain

Joined Aug 25, 2012
in addition I failed to put a dummy load across output . looks like I may start with the output cap. Also I need to mention , when I put a dummy load 16ohm resister on the output, the power supply works ok then and needle returns to 0 volts with no problem . Its only happens when the output has no load .

Last edited: