hp 2000 lap not displaying

jerry05

Joined Jun 11, 2013
my hp 2000 show black screen but its cap light is on, what can be the problem?? and i have check the laptop with external monitor and it still show black screen

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I have the same problem with, I think, the same model. I think it's an HP dv2000, though it might be a 2500 or something like that.

For that series of laptop, HP was experimenting with a lead-free solder to join the chips and components to the board. It turns out that solder is much more brittle than regular tin/lead solder, and developed cracks within only a year or so. Since the video chip is a BGA, it takes very little cracking or warping to stop it from working altogether. Your best bet is to buy a new motherboard or buy a new laptop. Replacing the chip alone is not recommended unless you have the right tools, which I can almost guarantee you don't (I don't have them either).

When you replace your motherboard though, make sure you get one that not only is from the same model computer, but that has the same part number. That is VERY important. There should be a sticker on your mobo that says "replace with type....." and a part number. Make sure you follow that when selecting your new one.

Good luck!
Matt