HP 140A oscilloscope

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by haamer, Sep 27, 2010.

1. haamer

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    It was made in 1963, so I have replaced all electrolytic capacitors and everything works, except one clitch: when I adjust beam intensity brighter, then also signal amlitude grows at CRT.
    At max intensity sinewave or square seems to be 2 times bigger, then at minimum intensity.
    Very annoying.

Any suggestions, what can be problem?
    Thanks
    T.

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

It looks like there are problems with the high voltage.
    As the intensity is higher the high voltage gets lower and the picture is larger.

Bertus

3. haamer

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    If high voltage gets lower, then image should go dimmer, but why larger?

T.

4. PRS

Aug 24, 2008
    I had the 1964 US Navy version of that same scope. When I first got it, it had the problem that when you pushed on the beam finder, the picture went away completely. The problem turned out to be two high voltage capacitors; the problem was easily determined because the caps arced!

As for your problem, it seems there is a relationship between how much current the supply is delivering and the amplitude of the vertical amplifier.

5. timrobbins

Aug 29, 2009
    Best to check the regulation of all the power supply rails as you change the intensity setting.

6. gootee

Apr 24, 2007
    You could try asking in the hp_agilent_equipment discussion group, which can be found at yahoogroups.com .

7. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    A lower HV at the anode will cause a picture to "bloom" as they used to call it on TVs. It may have a HV regulator tube in it like some older TVs of that era used 6BK4s.

8. theamber

Jun 13, 2008
    You mean the horizontal deflection opens up or the vertical amplifier shows larger amplitude? If it opens up the singnal should grow vertically and horizontall, that happends if the horizontal output is getting higer V from the flyback or the HO transistor.
    Seems to me you have a problem in the vertical amp. I do not know that scope does it has two separate channels?. It is probably a dual beam,check the gain of the transistor in the vertical amp. But it is strange the intensity control is related to that.