How's this filter calculated?

David_Baratheon

Joined Feb 10, 2012
Thanks Bertus I will take a look.

wmodavis, sorry i should have been a bit clearer, I know how to generate the filter using the calculator, I was wondering what the underlying calculations were that were deriving the filter values

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The underlying analysis can be found in: Van Valkenburg, Analog Filter Design.
The analysis begins with a derivation of the only transfer function that guarantees a maximally flat response.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Just in case you are still interested, here is the amplitude response:
Vout=(Vin*w^2*C1^2*R2*R3*R5*R6)/(sqrt((-w^2*C1^2*R1*R2*R3+R2+R1)^2+4*w^2*C1^2*R1^2*R2^2)*sqrt((-w^2*C1^2*R4*R5*R6+R5+R4)^2+4*w^2*C1^2*R4^2*R5^2))

with w=2*pi*f, f=frequency in Hertz.

Sometimes the caps are not made equal to each other (for each stage) and that allows a sharper response when needed.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Hi everyone

Just wondered if anyone is able to explain to me how this 4th order bandpass butterworth filter is calculated from the site?

http://www.changpuak.ch/electronics/Butterworth_Bandpass_active.php
I suspect there is no simple answer to your question. As Papabravo indicates there is a significant body of knowledge one has to assimilate before gaining a grasp of the subject. One simply has to Google "4th Order Bandpass Active RC Filter Design" to readily appreciate the level of background understanding required & the various technical subtleties involved.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The transfer function of a maximally flat magnitude response leads to a root locus the defines that response. The location of the poles is used to imply the components for a low pass response. The component values for the low pass response are then transformed into components for the bandpass response and the whole thing is scaled to the frequency of interest, the input impedance, and output impedance. If you want the details you'll just have to dig deeper.

You can start here:
http://www.crbond.com/papers/btf2.pdf

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I suspect there is no simple answer to your question. As Papabravo indicates there is a significant body of knowledge one has to assimilate before gaining a grasp of the subject. One simply has to Google "4th Order Bandpass Active RC Filter Design" to readily appreciate the level of background understanding required & the various technical subtleties involved.
Actually, an MFBP filters are quite easy to calculate. The loop gain for each stage is dependent solely on Q, which is dependent upon bandwidth and f0. An attenuator network is pasted onto the front end of the stage to achieve stage gains less then the Q dependent loop gain (R1 & R2 and R4 & R5 in the OPs web link).

All these calculations are performed in the spreadsheet I wrote and linked to above. It is quite educational.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
No doubt once the correct formulae are at hand there's no issue with entering values for the specific design parameters.
I wondered if OP was perhaps looking for a deeper understanding of the methodology underpinning the number crunching applet. Maybe they were simply looking for the applicable equations. Who knows...
Perhaps they were satisfed with the answers received & moved on - as is often the case.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
No doubt once the correct formulae are at hand there's no issue with entering values for the specific design parameters.
I wondered if OP was perhaps looking for a deeper understanding of the methodology underpinning the number crunching applet. Maybe they were simply looking for the applicable equations. Who knows...
Perhaps they were satisfed with the answers received & moved on - as is often the case.
That is why I suggested the reference that I did. It is the best explanation I have found to the question. Once you understand it for the passive case, the active case comes more quickly into focus. People ignore my advice all the time, but I never(well almost never) take it personally.

Not as good an explanations is the wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterworth_filter

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
People ignore my advice all the time, but I never(well almost never) take it personally.
I am always impressed with your insightful contributions - even though I rarely respond. There are many worthy contributions from others that also often come & go unacknowledged most of the time.
If we actually expected the thanks (albeit acknowledgement) we thought due, at least from the perspective of everyday courtesy, we probably wouldn't even bother with contributing. Goes with the territory it seems. Sort of a cargo cult ....
Hopefully it improves the lives & opportunities of others seeking help.