How's the weather?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I was afraid that "how's the weather" would evolve into this. Ironically, the weather used to be one of the few things that people could chat about with little fear of controversy.

But, with no new posts in a couple of hours, maybe there is an agreement to disagree. Here's hoping.
Maybe "weather correctness" is something that will soon become popular in mainstream media...

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
It really seems that there are so many polarizing issues these days, and I think that the internet has a part in dividing people up. It used to be that there was no shame to saying, "I don't know anything about that," but now, everyone can be an "expert" in everything. Thank you, Google.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It really seems that there are so many polarizing issues these days, and I think that the internet has a part in dividing people up. It used to be that there was no shame to saying, "I don't know anything about that," but now, everyone can be an "expert" in everything. Thank you, Google.
We certainly have more information available so we can form an opinion by ourselves... the thing is that nowadays it's fashionable to speak against authority in lots of subjects... ranging from what's being discussed here, all the way to nutrition and the wisdom of vaccinating our kids...
Take this site for instance... right now there's an active thread started by an audiophile about which cable configuration is best for wiring the speakers on his very expensive stereo system... no amount of science, reasoning or common-sense argumentation will convince him that he's wasting his time.. and that (as one popular member said) he's chasing rainbows...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
When I started this thread, I didn't mean, "How's the planet?" I meant more like, "Who's snowed in so bad they can't even connect to the Interwebs?"

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
When I started this thread, I didn't mean, "How's the planet?" I meant more like, "Who's snowed in so bad they can't even connect to the Interwebs?"
Back to topic then... down here in Monterrey (we're in the same latitude as Miami) it's 21°C (70°F) and the rest of the week will be a nice 24°C (75°F)... and no... it hasn't snowed in at least 15 years... although we get some snow in the nearby mountains every once in a while...

The-hill-of-saddle-monterrey-mexico-jorge-cristopulos.jpg

Capture.JPG

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Ahh, much better today. It's only 60 F degrees, but it's dry and the air is nearly dead calm.
I can work with that. :)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hey I've been there! I remember the skyline. I was helping my sales guy in visits to the local brewery. Modelo was it?
Modelo is dominant in the south (they sell the Corona brand, among others), Cuahuthémoc is dominant up here, in the north (they sell TKT, Sol, which is prominently featured in the Matrix movies, and Bohemia)... but the best beers down here are craft made.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
The global warming thing is unfortunate in that the media started calling it that. It is really climate change. have a look at this, http://www.adn.com/article/20141215...m-weather-so-far-winter-may-be-record-setting
I thought it was supposed to be "Climate Weirding" now. They keep changing the name to reflect that the climate refuses to conform to the "scientific" computer models.

In any case, these discussions cannot be had here, as the following Venn diagram clearly shows:

PAR.jpeg

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I thought it was supposed to be "Climate Weirding" now. They keep changing the name to reflect that the climate refuses to conform to the "scientific" computer models.

In any case, these discussions cannot be had here, as the following Venn diagram clearly shows:

View attachment 80315
I thought that the intersection between politics and religion was sex... and AGW would be between politics and science? or are you implying that there's zero science in AGW?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I thought that the intersection between politics and religion was sex... and AGW would be between politics and science? or are you implying that there's zero science in AGW?
If AGW was, in fact, science, there would be no problem discussing it here -- just like we discuss all aspects of science in the off-topic thread.

I am considered a heretic for having reviewed the "scientific" models and their predictions against actual real-world data and coming to my own conclusion that AGW as a theory has failed with respect to the Scientific Method.

Just watch the responses to this post (at least until the thread is closed), and you will understand what I mean by "AGW is religion intersecting with politics".

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Just watch the responses to this post (at least until the thread is closed), and you will understand what I mean by "AGW is religion intersecting with politics".
I think I know what you mean... I've seen the zeal with which the liberal side of the political spectrum defend (impose?) AGW in their agenda.
Anyway, what I always say in a discussion like this one is "climate is changing, there's no doubt about that, but is it changing due to natural causes or because of human causes?" I find the answer to that question irrelevant since in the end we're left with the same problem, and with the same inevitable next question, "what are we going to do?"
BTW, I lean towards blaming natural causes.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
If AGW was, in fact, science, there would be no problem discussing it here -- just like we discuss all aspects of science in the off-topic thread.
We are allowed to discuss AWG here - no problems. Every winter when it snows, someone starts a thread about it. And each year, the thread is hijacked by someone who wants to dispute AWG. Just as this thread has gone on

I think I know what you mean... I've seen the zeal with which the liberal side of the political spectrum defend (impose?) AGW in their agenda.
I'd say concerned citizens discuss the science and effects with zeal. It's always the deniers who make it political.