How you seen this bluetooth device/assembled PCB?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by hspalm, Oct 27, 2010.

1. hspalm

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Hi
    Just saw a new addition to my favorite chineese-bargain shop goodluckbuy.com.
    http://www.goodluckbuy.com/serial-bluetooth-rf-transceiver-module-rs232.html

Description from the website:
    Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232
    This small size Bluetooth TTL transceiver module allows your target device to both send or receive the TTL data via Bluetooth technology without connecting a serial cable to your computer. It's easy to use and completely encapsulated.
    TTL data transparent transfer between a host Bluetooth device.
    Works with any USB Bluetooth adapters.
    Default Baud Rate: 9600,8,1,n.
    Coverage up to 30ft.
    Built in antenna.
    Power input: +3.3VDC.
    Mini Size.

I think it looks like an interesting thing, but just how will I use this? Can it pair with phones, computers etc. or will I need another one of these? In that case I could just buy an RF receiver/transmitter IC as an equivalent.

I have previously bought stuff like a replica of the srf04 ultrasonic range finder of the same site, and it was a success!

2. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Nice find, RS232 Bluetooth devices usually aren't cheap. To talk to it your Bluetooth needs to support the serial port protocol (SPP) which is common on PCs but not so much on other devices.

3. hspalm

Feb 17, 2010
    Okay, I see. So I can transfer data between the Rx/Tx lines with a microcontroller, or maybe a computer with serial port. But there must be a way to name this thing, or to tell it what baudrate to accept and so on?
    Are you sure it's only SPP it supports? (I can agree it looks like it) Just saw a list of all the available bluetooth protocols, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Port_Profile#Serial_Port_Profile_.28SPP.29, and the SPP seems to be the most convenient to my hobby needs anyways.

4. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    It's a serial port so only devices with SPP will know how to talk to it.

Would have been real nice if Apple put it in their IOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) stack. Those devices often have a bare bones Bluetooth stack. Even the Microsoft windows stack is incomplete. (Google WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software)

5. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
  6. hspalm

Feb 17, 2010
    Marshallf3: I am aware of the cheating in laser and other markets among no-name chinese suppliers. This is sad, but unfortunately you just have to be aware.

I received this link from the supplier, as a substitute for a datasheet. Its in chinese, but google translate gave me some useful information.
    http://detail.china.alibaba.com/buyer/offerdetail/610265865.html

I have bought the module and will be trying this out and write a post.

7. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009