How would you turn off the world's electirc devices?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
So...

how exactly would the meta materials be able to suppress a magnetic field.

The magnetic field may be slightly impaired if measured with sensitive enough equipment. This is a far cry from BLOCKING a magnetic field. Nothing we know of in physical or chemical or theoretical terms is capable of BLOCKING a magnetic field.

Perhaps someday, a way to create a 'mono' pole may be dreamed up and this might have some drastic affect on a normal bipolar magnetic field, but I cannot foresee anyone, ever, being able to BLOCK magnetic lines of force with any type of nano scale manufactured material. We are limited by the elements of the periodic table. Nothing can be made that does not incorporate one more elements from this list, and nothing on the "list" can BLOCK a magnetic field.

Like I said. PFM.
The properties of negative index of refraction don't actually BLOCK the magnetic field lines, they would be bent back into space instead of into the core. That's the point of meta-materials, composites of them can have properties not found in nature by any element or combination of elements without meta structure.
http://www.ce.sc.edu/deptinfo/members/faculty/ray/web1/Ugrad/ECIV%20303/Student%20Presentations/MetaMaterials.pptx

Blocking the entire worlds power grid using them would be almost PFM but it's not a total impossible premise like some anti-power tower.

My first post of the thread.
If I were writing something even remotely possible I would use the ability for meta-materials to warp the space of selected EM frequencies, shielding the objects from the energy.

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I have been reading the material you linked and looked at some of the other sites that are reporting on these meta material structures.

I see that they can indeed affect ELECTRO-MAGNETIC waves. But can they block a magnetic field? I doubt it. I do not think they will ever be able to stop me from attracting a piece of iron with a magnet without doing what is already done to prevent magnetic attraction, namely, place a GREAT DISTANCE between the magnet and the iron such that the 'pull' of the magnet has lost to much power from the sheer size of the gap between the iron and the magnet. Like I said, NOTHING; no element in the periodic table, is capable of preventing a magnetic field from reaching through to the other side and subjecting the object there to influences of the magnetic field.

Copper structures were mentioned. Very small one to be exact. Can the element copper BLOCK a magnet from attracting a piece of iron on the other side? Not without being so thick that the distance itself becomes the limiting factor, the elemental copper having absolutely zero effect on the ability of a magnet to pick up iron. AND should that copper be made to move while in the presence of the magnetic field...well, we all know what happens then... electricity is produced in the copper, which is what we are trying to say could be prevented by these meta things ;)

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Now for a new idea.

When we have a better understanding of the strong and the weak nuclear forces and figure out how to manipulate the subatomic particles, perhaps then we could sabotage electronic devices by selectively changing the physical properties of elements so that they could not conduct electric currents.

Might just be easier to do than blocking magnetism would be, but since almost all metals conduct perhaps changing the physical structure of the metallic elements into non conductors would also render them unsuitable for use in infra-structure building purposes and every structure built by man might just crumble and collapse into a heap of non-conducting metal powder 'stuff'. :)

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
magnetism...

You need to do something that would prevent a magnetic field from being formed in order to cause electrical devices to become inoperative.
That only works on some electrical devices. Their "invention" stops ALL electricity! What about a chemical battery like a car battery, two pieces of wire and a filament bulb?

How are you going to stop that with some long-distance magnetic field dampener?

The whole premise of the show is silly.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Geez, guys, are you serious? If you stop all magnetism, then current can't flow because moving current always causes a magnetic field. Presto! Also stops lightning damage:D

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I doubt it too (usage on fields from sources and currents) but at least there is some science behind it and not something pulled from a script writers back-side. :D

NBC's series Revolution is starting it's new season. For those of you that are not aware of the series, it is about a group of scientists that shutoff all of the electric / electronic devices in the world. Everything that works by electricity does not work.

Some people have a pendant. When in the vicinity of an electric / electronic device the device will function.

In the current episodes, Monroe the leader of the militia and antagonist in the series forces one of the scientist's that shutoff the electricity in the first place to build an "amplifier". This allows larger devices like helicopters and heavy equipment to function from the pendent.

So how would you shut off the world's power if you could build a device that currently is only in the imagination of screen writers?

My first thought would be an EMP as they currently exist but it would have to be an awful massive device and there would probably be pockets that survived. Certainly shielded equipment would survive.

Another thought was some kind of dampening field. I suppose if the device was launched into space and it shut down the world's power there would be no power to reach it to shut it down. The pendent could act sort of as a shield so anything under it would function.

My final thought was to some way alter the properties of conductors and semiconductors at an atomic level. I suppose, the pendent could reorganize the structure back to their orginal properties.
Spin...what I am about to write about here are things that I know and have been made aware of due to my third...JOB.

The U.S. Military Ultra-Top Secret Covert R&D Program which is not only Massive but is connected to every U.S. Defense Contractor as well as Foreign Defense Subsitiaries World Wide...and this extremely large and interwoven program makes DARPA look like a grain of sand on a beach in comparison to size, level of technology and secrecy...as DARPA is the Poster Child of Military R&D specifically made More than Public in an attempt to show the public where Billions of dollars of the defense budget is going.

This extremely secret and sensitive R&D net has developed Non-Nuclear EMP devices that come in a variety of sizes and strengths as two of the smaller EMP's can be fit into the internal bomb bays of an F/A-22 and be flown to an enemies Command and Control and dropped to completely disable such enemy communication with absolutely no warning due to the aircrafts stealthy abilities.

Larger Non-Nuclear EMP's can be dropped by B-1, B-2, B-52 and sent to targets by Cruise or Balistic Missiles.

Nuclear EMP's have been in the U.S. Militaries Toy Chest for decades now as they are basically a Thermonuclear Bomb...but Non-Nuclear EMP's would be used if such events as North Korean invasion of the South...Iran using Nuclear Blackmail as policy...or against Chinese Invasion forces of Taiwan.

I have learned from years of experience in this field that whatever people may believe is impossible or not yet technologically possible...often is possible when it comes to the U.S. Military.

Split Infinity

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The U.S. Military Ultra-Top Secret Covert R&D Program which is not only Massive but is connected to every U.S. Defense Contractor as well as Foreign Defense Subsitiaries World Wide...and this extremely large and interwoven program makes DARPA look like a grain of sand on a beach in comparison to size, level of technology and secrecy...as DARPA is the Poster Child of Military R&D specifically made More than Public in an attempt to show the public where Billions of dollars of the defense budget is going.
This is crap!

All the money goes to pay off the families of the K-POP girls kidnapped and sent to North Korea as bribes for secret intelligence.

It's so sad to see the pictures on the wall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htvudaUBhFc

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Spin...what I am about to write about here are things that I know and have been made aware of due to my third...JOB.
This from a guy who was playing a $100,000 guitar in rock band which was destroyed by pyrotechnics.

Really?

That's not NEARLY as cool as the time I was flying my stealth bomber and a UFO flew up alongside and the alien inside gave me a thumbs up sign.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I'd still like to know how nanobots could be distributed to every electrical device. It might be possible even for off grid devices that operate off of or are started by battery but there are still bound to be some devices that were never connected to the grid either direct or in direct.

For example there are bound to be motorcycles with kick start that never got a new battery since the "attack", or solar panels in stock that were never connected. All of these devices would function if not infected.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Kermit2 said:
This from a guy who was playing a $100,000 guitar in rock band which was destroyed by pyrotechnics.

Really?

That's not NEARLY as cool as the time I was flying my stealth bomber and a UFO flew up alongside and the alien inside gave me a thumbs up sign.
That happened to you too??? :eek:

I was playing in a rock band touring with Iron Maiden and an Alien flew up alongside in a stealth bomber, and set off an EMP designed by the U.S. Military Ultra-Top Secret Covert R&D Program... It took out all the stage gear! The fans were not happy. :(

That was in my 6th job as a super-secret agent rock star CIA undercover alien hunter.

I can't tell you about my other 5 jobs because they are pretty hush-hush, you know.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That happened to you too??? :eek:

I was playing in a rock band touring with Iron Maiden and an Alien flew up alongside in a stealth bomber, and set off an EMP designed by the U.S. Military Ultra-Top Secret Covert R&D Program... It took out all the stage gear! The fans were not happy. :(

That was in my 6th job as a super-secret agent rock star CIA undercover alien hunter.

I can't tell you about my other 5 jobs because they are pretty hush-hush, you know.
You bunch of wimps. I would take off in my space plane from my own private 3 mile long aircraft carrier with an all woman super model crew. I would go to their home world and hit those alien bastards where they live.

On my return from mission, my female super model crew would have knife fights to the death just to see who would get to sleep with me for the evening. They would light my cigars with million dollar bills. The government had them printed to pay me. I have boxes of the stuff still laying around here in my 100 square kilometer home.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't know what your smoking, but it ain't $1M bills. I like the fantasy though, if you're going to dream, dream big.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I don't know what your smoking, but it ain't $1M bills. I like the fantasy though, if you're going to dream, dream big.

They are printed special for me by the U.S. Treasury Dept.

Also try landing a space plane on an aircraft carrier at 3,000 miles an hour. It is a heck of a landing even when the ship is 3 miles long.

You guys are so cool. I want to hang with all you Millionaires!:D
You gotta have the dough to be able to go.

You know...the REALLY funny part will occur when some of you have a conversation with our new member Pladuim...who actually KNOWS what I do as well as herd a few of my older songs.

You see...when a person actually has and does what they state they do...such a person takes remarks and jabs in the manner they appear to such a person...that being...the JOKE is on you guy's! LOL!

Split Infinity

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
So how would you shut off the world's power if you could build a device that currently is only in the imagination of screen writers?
http://www.tv.com/news/revolution-t...out-but-it-doesnt-really-matter-136552986612/

As promised,Rachel revealed the cause of the Big Electricity Suck of 2012 with as much fanfare as if she were reading an instruction manual, and it was—brace yourselves—microscopic robots that slurp electricity out of the air and self-replicate like bunnies listening to Marvin Gaye on repeat.
:cool: