How would you sort this mess?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by GRNDPNDR, Mar 11, 2014.

1. GRNDPNDR

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2012
    How would you guys organize this desk? I just recently purchased the power supply and scope, but the power supply takes up a sizable amount of real estate on this desk, not to mention I have all of those storage containers.

So given this desk, and this equipment, how would you organize/mod it?

[​IMG]

2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I would add three shelves above the desk, stack the power supply next to the scope and plan for some small boxes below the desk for junk parts - it makes a nice rest to put your feet on!

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I would start with a sheet of 5/8 or 3/4 plywood about 8 feet long.
    You're kidding yourself if you think a proper work bench can be done in 3 feet. That's a work station, not a work bench. With that concept in mind, that you're only going to work one project at a time, quit trying to use your work station as a storage space. Get all the inventory off the work station and put it on shelves. If you keep this up for 10 or 20 years, you will eventually need a whole room.

4. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I wouldn't.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Modify the work station or need a whole room?

6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Where do you put the laptop/computer for microcontroller development?

7. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    Well I would gladly take the scope and power supply to help out ... lol JK

8. GRNDPNDR

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Ya, you're right, it's a work station not bench. I live in a small apartment, this is in our living room, and this is about all the space that can be afforded.

If I had a garage or basement.....well then I'd have a garage or basement :) but for now this is all I have.

I'm planning on buying or making some kind of flexible arm to mount to the side and hold a laptop or netbook there so I can swing it in and out.

9. GRNDPNDR

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2012

Hard to put the PS and scope next to each other on that small shelf, the PS is about 2x as long as the shelf is wide.

I would like to have the scope within arms reach but I'm doubting that's going to happen.

10. BReeves

Nov 24, 2012
    Just do the best you can in the space you have and deal with it.

11. GRNDPNDR

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2012

I'm trying, but I'm kind of an idiot when comes to actual 'design' type work, so I like to tap into the creativity of others who are more imaginative than I.

12. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I wouldn't change anything. It looks immaculate already, by my standards (low standards, I know).

13. Cal Rico

May 1, 2012
    I live in a small apartment. I used a full size desk (30" by 60"). I then stacked shelves to the ceiling behind the desk, I then stacked shelves on the left side to the ceiling. I use all the drawers for equipment and tools.
    Ignore the mess ON the desk. I had torn the area apart to re design another area of the room. Also apologize for being sideways...just turn your head 90 degrees.

14. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Where the "mess"? :eek:

I would put a big strong shelf up high on the wall behind it, then put the PSU and scope and other stuff up on the shelf to give you more bench space. And more shelf space for more PSUs and signal generator/freq meters, etc. :)

15. GRNDPNDR

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2012
    I forgot to mention, about that wall, that;

1 - behind that wall is the hallway for our apartment building, and it isn't very thick. Thick enough for some screws or anchors, just be careful not to go through the wall.

2 - It's constructed entirely of some form of cement-like plaster that, when drilled, crumbles into dust and when you put an anchor into it, it will pull back out when you put a screw into it.

This apartment sucks.

I might put a shelf there as it's a good idea, but I don't see it being feasible as a place for the scope or power supply because they would be out of reach.

16. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    only put the things you need to adjust most on the work surface, the power supply can go above. some plastic or metal shelve units can hold all the parts drawers.

17. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    So then Don't anchor anything to the wall. Build a tower over the top of the desk, with shelves that butt up against the wall.

18. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
  19. GRNDPNDR

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2012
    *facepalm*

Strantor, Metalmann, Those suggestions are the reasons I make threads like this, those ideas didn't even cross my mind for whatever reason.

Excellent ideas for making the most of this tiny work station ;)

20. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I would avoid drilling into your wall in your situation.

To build up vertically, put two 2x4 or shelving lumber either to the sides or back of the desk. Then add shelving as desired. Move the parts drawers and other paraphernalia on to the shelves.

Make the first shelf (where the scope is now) wider to accommodate the power supply.

I would mount a full length power bar along the edge of first shelf for easy access.