how to work with car battery

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
that's a great explanation!

but i wanted to know how you do it with a circuit.
do you compare the voltage levels using comparator??
It is necessary to have a voltage regulator for battery operated circuits right?

Thanks!
That could be done to squeeze the fullest amount possible from a battery, but doing so requires a different chemistry than lead acid. One that isn't so damaging to the cell structure after complete discharge, like, Ni-cad; NiMh; molten salt types(industrial), and even the old alkaline NiFe.

If you use a lead acid battery, you will want to keep discharge within a small defined window. 99.9% of circuits are just fine with this range as the supply.

If you want to have operation during 'recharge' then adding a regulator would be good. The voltage boost during recharge might be to much for some circuits.

Do only what you must do to make a circuit work well, and work safely. Needless complexity leads to failure(by various definitions) in most cases.

wenn32

Joined Nov 9, 2010
suppose i have a circuit & it needs 200mA of current then will the battery provide only 200mA or the full capacity(delivering without much effort).no matter how much i try to understand i cannot get this part.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Only the amount of current that the resistance allows will flow.

Decrease resistance and more current flows.

With no change in resistance, a change in voltage will cause more or less current to flow.

I = E/R

Increase R and I decreases
Decrease R and I increases

Increase E and I increases
Decrease E and I decreases.

It's all there in that one little equation called Ohm's Law.

:)

wenn32

Joined Nov 9, 2010
i have already looked into this equation to understand.lets say a circuit needs 12v & has an impedance of say 80 ohm then the circuit needs (12/80) 0.15A.but my battery can provide me suppose 200mA then my circuit takes 0.15A from battery & the remaining (200-150) 50mA is free which can be used by other circuit(if connected) right? I am sorry if i am making this very foolish question but i have no other resource :-(.thanks!

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The voltage from a battery drops as it is discharged by a load. Then the current in most loads decreases.

I don't know of a 12V battery that supplies 200mA. The tiny one used in a garage door remote cannot supply as much as 200mA and a car battery can supply hundreds of Amps.

The capacity of a battery is not a current, it is a current for a certain amount of time and is rated in MAh or Ah.

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
hello guys i have a small doubt my battery says it can supply 220Ah.Now suppose if i have a circuit which consumes 180mA.Now i have like 1.2Ah.

Again if i have other circuit which takes lets say 100mA then i have 785mAh left right?

please help me?

220amps/hour... but it's not going to give that runtime in the real world as people pointed out once it hits around 70% discharge it declines pretty quickly from that point on..

But if you're going to work it out 180ma (0.180amps/220 = runtime ) would give roughly 122 hours if it really is a 220ah battery... is it a Deep Cycle or Car (Lead acid?) battery?