How to wire up an ac motor with drum switch and limit switches

Kindal16

Joined Sep 25, 2016
I'm working on a cider press for a customer of mine that wants to automate the apple pressing. I purchased A Joyce Dayton Screw Jack with limit switchs built in, a rotary drum switch and a reversable AC motor. Attached are the pictures. I can't figure out how to wire this up to make it work correctly. Any thoughts?

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Well to approach any subject like this in order to give advice, all details on what components you have or intend to use, any parts or components of the press etc, the sequence of operations and detailed description of the desired result, so far a picture of a few components?
Max.

Kindal16

Joined Sep 25, 2016
Sorry Max, I should probably have had a better description. I have a reversible AC motor that is connected to a 5 ton screw jack. My plan is to operate the drum switch in either forward or reverse depending on which direction i want the screw jack to travel. Once the screw jack reaches the end of its travel and hits the limit switch I would like it to stop. At this point I would move the drum switch to the opposite direction making the screw jack travel in the opposite position until it reaches the end of its travel and hits another limit switch.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What about a push button to initiate the forward and automatic reverse at the end travel?
Or do you want to rely on manual reverse.
Max.

Kindal16

Joined Sep 25, 2016
I could do it that way, but I want a stop at the end of the stroke so it keeps pressure on the apples so whoever is operating the press can release pressure and retract the screw jack after all the juice is extracted.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So would you prefer a totally manual system where the P.B. is pushed and can be released at any time to stop or reverse engaged if necessary before the end limit is reached, as an option.
Max..

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Instead of a rotary drum switch ( I couldn't find the drum connections for that model) I would be tempted to use a small motor reverser and two Momentary P.B.'s the limit switch would not then carry the motor current..
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There is a small reverser on ebay right now, the guy has 5 for sale $20.00 or best offer.
Are you using 120vac or 240v?
Max.