How to wire Switch

mpangrekar

Joined May 16, 2009
I am trying to hook up a dimmer rocker switch (rated for 12V, 10A) to run a LED dimmable bulb that runs on 12V. The switch has three connectors - Battery, Load and ground. How do I make the connections? I have 2 wires bringing 12V supply and 2 more wires for LED bulb. Datasheet attached for the dimmer switch. The mfgr said: connect i/p to Battery & Ground and o/p to Load and second wire of load goes to chasis ground, so does this mean second wire of load goes to "Ground on the switch? Thanks.

Mayur

Attachments

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
Try connecting the +12V to the battery lead, the positive of the bulb to the load and both the -12V and the negative of the bulb to ground. Use heat shrink tubing if you are soldering the connections. If you are not soldering, use wire nuts or electrical tape.

mpangrekar

Joined May 16, 2009
Thanks. I tried following:

Connected the +12V to the battery lead, the positive of the bulb to the load and both the -12V and the negative of the bulb to ground. On the switch, you can press on either side to achieve dimming effect. First I tried halogen When I hooked on 12VDC supply, the halogen bulb kept blinking, nothing happened when I tried to dim. Then I tried LED bulb, it lit up with full brightness, no dimming achieved. Then I called the mfgr, they said the dimmer switch is designed for incandescent bulbs only, so may not work for halogen or LED.

Mayur