How to wire in a 'power on' indicator light

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by pgrodz, Jul 19, 2012.

1. pgrodz

Thread Starter New Member

May 2, 2012
    Good Morning Everyone,

I am working on a project that I believe is a reverse of a relay. I have a dust collector running on 220v line. The machine is hard wired into a remote starter that is turned on by a garage door style remote starter.

I want to set up something where, when the dust collector is on, a lightbulb, or other indicator light turns on. I imagine there is a way to wire something into the remote starter switch, but the electronics are a bit advanced for my level.

Is there any way to tie directly into the 220v feed line from the remote switch to the motor to provide this indicator light?

I can provide pictures of the remote start switch if that helps.

2. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    You could put a small, 120V light bulb across one phase and the return line at the motor or at the controller.

It'd be nice, and safer, if there is a lower voltage available inside your controller's receiver. We'd need pictures and/or a schematic to have a chance at finding this.

Nov 30, 2010
    220V light bulbs are available but this is more like electrician work than electronics work.
  4. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    Another option would be to find out what the voltage of the contactor (relay) coil is and connect a light to that. I'd imagine that there is some sort of relay controlling the motor, though it is hard to say without any pictures of the controller. The coil voltage could be considerably lower than the motor voltage, which makes it a little safer to work with. :)
  5. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    #12 likes this.