How to wire a switch for a drill motor

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
I have an old Craftsman variable speed reversable 3/8 110v drill motor with bad switch.

I cannot find a replacement switch.

I have a set of switches out of a DC drill motor, they are rated up to 270v.

How do I wire these up?

I have a .bmp drawing if anyone cares to take a look at it.

Thanks,
Gary

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I have an old Craftsman variable speed reversable 3/8 110v drill motor with bad switch.

I cannot find a replacement switch.

I have a set of switches out of a DC drill motor, they are rated up to 270v.

How do I wire these up?

I have a .bmp drawing if anyone cares to take a look at it.

Thanks,
Gary
We cant see the picture, please post it again.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The switch is a double throw double pole (DPDT) type. You feed the center terminals with the power out of the speed control, and cross-connect the motor brushes to the end terminals.

I've got the original B & D VSRD, and had to use a small toggle switch to do the reversing. The speed control is also long dead, but all I do with it now is grind rust and paint.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Thanks for the feedback, and while I can make some sense of your reply, it still eludes me.

The motor as 4 wires, 2 to the brushes (top and bottom), and 2 to the winding (left and right). How should I marry them up?

I have two switches to work with, one being a variable speed, and the other being a forward and reverse.

I removed the battery recharge recepticle and diode.

Once I know the marriage of the motor wires, I believe they should go to the bottom of the forward / reverse switch, is that correct?

From there, It appears that the variable spped switch is wired to the power cord on one lead (top right), and then the other power cord lead goes to the F/R switch. (Like in the drawing). DOes that seem correct?

If all of those assumptions are true, then I still have.
1. A jumper from F/R switch, to the V/S switch.
2. I have a white wire coming from the V/S switch that goes where?

Please understand that this is just a small project, to jury rig an old drill that belonged to my dad. It's no big deal really, but I would like to see if I can make it work.

Thanks for your patience.

A drawing showing me what to connect where would be ideal.

Gary

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Here is how the reversing switch should be connected.

The schematic shows an AC source, but the connections are the same for a battery drill. A switch with 5 amp contacts should hold up fine.

Your drill uses pulse width modulation (PWM) to control the speed. I would expect a connection to the battery + and - terminals, with a wire out carrying the PWM drive to the motor. Not sure, but the wiring for the drill might be available at the manufacturer's web site.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
To all who contributed first time around, thank you, but I still don't get it.

I've attached a different drawing, with numbered wires.

Does anyone see how these wires should be connected to make it work?

Example: 1 goes to 12 (probably wrong, but..., like that)
4 goes to 7...
9 goes to 3...
etc., etc.

Many thanks,
Gary

Attachments

Last edited: