How to wire 3 phase rotary switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by vgtmani, May 7, 2014.

1. vgtmani

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Hi,
    I have 3 phase connection for my home. I want to instal rotary switch for all the 3 phase. I have 3Nos of L&T 3way rotary with off. so, how to wire it. Please help

2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    What exactly do you want to do with the 3 phase line, what is your end goal?

Upon this will depend whether this thread will be closed or not, for violating the ToS.

3. vgtmani

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 26, 2014
    My goal is, if one phase line gets failure i should change over to any one of the other two phase line in my home. like that, for all the 3 phase(3 individual phase) i want to install a changeover switch. i need a wiring diagram for it.

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Do you want to singularly select one phase out of three, IOW, exclude the other two?
    Or are will the other phases be in use?
    The switching unit will have to carry the maximum current of any given phase.
    It would require more info to give a definitive answer.
    Max.

5. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    I have never seen 3 phase supply to a house. just because there are three wires coming from the pole, dosnt mean it s three phase. what do you have in your house that requires three phase? if you start switching phases on a three phase system, you will start reversing motors, if you start loosing a phase at a time, you will cause motors to not start, if you start switching dead phases to live ones, you will have more current on the working phase, possibley ore than it can handle.

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I have seen it done in the UK in order to balance the load when off peak storage heating became popular.
    Max.

7. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    There are 3-phase household installations in Greece as well.
    It's as simple as providing all 3 phases plus neutral to the main panel, and treat them as 3 single-phase systems.

I know it sounds stupid but I've never heard anything contradictory.

8. samuel.whiskers

Mar 17, 2014
    My house in Australia has a 3 phase supply.... no 3-phase equipment, it is used as 3 separate 240V 100A circuits.... It is fairly common here to have 2 phases at a house, one generally for hot water, one for the power/lighting circuits.