How to wire 2 momentary dpst push button switches to open/close 2 motors

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
What are you trying to do? Are you trying to open and close something? Or are you trying to turn something on and off?

What exactly are you doing?

snaubert6783

Joined Dec 20, 2016
What are you trying to do? Are you trying to open and close something? Or are you trying to turn something on and off?

What exactly are you doing?
i have dual electric exhaust cutouts that open and close to make the exhaust louder when open and quiet when closed. i want to be able to open them and close them at any point (stop half way, 3/4 of the way, etc.) just by pushing and letting go of the buttons.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
What is the contact arrangement of those switches? :confused:
What pins are connected when the buttons are pushed and what pins are connected when not.
They appear to be missing the common connection to the NO and NC pins.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
snaubert6783......thanks, that saves a lot of questions. What country are you in?

I am assuming the motors are 12 volt. What is the motor current rating?

snaubert6783

Joined Dec 20, 2016
snaubert6783......thanks, that saves a lot of questions. What country are you in?

I am assuming the motors are 12 volt. What is the motor current rating?
USA. i am not sure about the rating of the motors but the company states that they can be hooked up to a 12v source and it comes with a 1amp inline fuse.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If I understand the switch operation correctly, below is how to connect them to the motors.
This assumes the red motor wire closes the motors. If not then reverse the red and black motor wires.
(I didn't show the LED wiring but I assume you can do that).

upload_2016-12-20_10-56-12.png

snaubert6783

Joined Dec 20, 2016
If I understand the switch operation correctly, below is how to connect them to the motors.
This assumes the red motor wire closes the motors. If not then reverse the red and black motor wires.
(I didn't show the LED wiring but I assume you can do that).

View attachment 117229
i am not 100 percent educated in this field but i believe that you are showing what i want to accomplish. For a recap, both buttons would be open until i press and hold one of them (red led button press and hold to open both motors and the blue led button press and hold to close both motors). question, why would i connect anything to the nc posts?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Try crutschow's diagram. Only don't power it with the cigarette lighter. For some of us older folks....that has a vital function.

Make sure you can power it with the accessory switch. That way you can drive up quiet........and before re-starting car.....open them up...then start. My cousin had cable operated cut outs on a 66 chevelle SS.

Lot's of cruising fun. And of course street drags.

snaubert6783

Joined Dec 20, 2016
i will give it a shot. i really appreciate all of the help i have been getting. this has been racking my brain for the last two weeks.