how to use transistors circuit as DPDT relay

Adam King

Joined Nov 19, 2009
Hi guys, i've been trying to build a circuit that would substitute a DPDT relay using transistors with full isolation, yet i am still no where.....any idea ???

thanks
Adam

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What do you mean by "full isolation"? Normally you isolate either the inputs or the outputs, but not both.

I don't think you can get behavior equivalent to a relay with a BJT. You might have better luck with a FET, or a BJT controlling the gate of a FET.

Would some kind of opto-isolator possibly fulfil your requirements?

Adam King

Joined Nov 19, 2009
Well, I have a DPDT relay; one of the poles is connected to the positive lead of a capacitor “47MF- 16V” and one of the throws is connected to the positive of 12 V DC power supply, the third throw is connected to a transistor, the capacitor charges itself when the relay is OFF then when the relay turns ON the capacitor discharges itself into the transistor, so what I really want is to replace this mechanical relay with transistors circuit.

Thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Well, I have a DPDT relay; one of the poles is connected to the positive lead of a capacitor “47MF- 16V” and one of the throws is connected to the positive of 12 V DC power supply, the third throw is connected to a transistor, the capacitor charges itself when the relay is OFF then when the relay turns ON the capacitor discharges itself into the transistor, so what I really want is to replace this mechanical relay with transistors circuit.

Thanks
What about the other pole, and why the need for isolation?

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008

Thanks

Is this any where close to what you have right now?

dpdt.jpg