How to use TO-3 transistor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by HaPPy_BoY, Jan 6, 2011.

1. HaPPy_BoY

Thread Starter Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi guys, i have some 2n3055 transistor TO-3 package. It has only 2 pins; base and emitter. The "tab" is the collector. So let's say i want to use it in a circuit such as attached. How do i connect with the collector or is the tab grounded ?

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    They are usually mounted on a physically isolated heatsink inside the chassis. The heatsink will have voltage on it in reference to the chassis ground. The case of the transistor, as you guessed, is the missing connection.

3. nomurphy

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 8, 2005
    Use a screw, nut, and wire on a ring lug to connect to the xstr case. An internal tooth lock washer is also useful for maintaining the connection between the ring lug and the case.

4. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
  5. HaPPy_BoY

Thread Starter Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I see . I just need to connect a wire to the case.

So, just curious, if the collector is not connected, is it grounded by default ?

6. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    if it is in contact with a grounded surface - it is.

7. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    If you get a socket for the T)-3 can and use an insulating washer, then the transistor can be placed on a grounded heat sink or case, but still have a voltage present on the collector. If that voltage is dangerous, then it is also possible (or was) to get a plastic insulating cover to protect users.