Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
I have Installed
- AVR Studio 4
- AVR Dude
- Win AVR

How do i use them, why do i need all 3 of them

I Have a .Hex code

which of these 3 programs do i need to put the hex code onto the Chip i want to program?

I Have a previous threat with other information but that hasnt got any infoon using these programs, and why i need them in beginners terms

Chris

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
WinAVR is the C compiler that produces a .bin/.hex file from your C source code to something the uC understands/can run.
AVR Dude is the programmer that transfers the .bin/.hex file to the AVR IC through the programming interface cable.
AVR Studio is the Integrated Development Environment that ties everything together.

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
OK Thanks

Now i need to understand how to put the code on the IC

I have a HEX file with the code thing

so, i already have a made hex file so i paste that into AVR Dude

and press program and its done?

I Only have to use AVR Studio 4 And Win AVR when im making the HEX
'
I already have a .Hex so jus use AVR Dude?

Chris

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Do you have the AVR on a circuit board and the programming cable to transfer the file from your PC to the AVR? If so, then you only need to run the "writing to uC" part.

This is assuming the .hex file was bulit for the same AVR uC you have.

The hard part is getting a working .hex file, and designing/etching/buying the circuit board. :D

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
Ok
I dont have a Programmer yet, i looked around for some and found many but they say they dont support my ATtiny13 chip, they say Supports the ATtiny 13, and 15.

But dont worry about the programmer yet, i have watched tutorials and it is easy to connect, and plug into computer

I want to know WHAT do i do assuming the programmer is all plugged in?

Again, assume the programmer is plugged in

(the programmer is plugged in) i open what?, i have a HEX file, do i just open AVR Studio 4, paste the hex in that writing window, and press program somewhere???

I Still havent gotten the answer to that, not even in my previous thread

> What do i need to click on once the programmer is plugged into the computer and the IC chip???????

I Already have a hex file, so i just need a program to program the hex to the chip, so do i use

- AVR Dude
- WinAVR
- AVR Studio 4

HELP, someone just tell me, which program i use to put the hex on the Chip, and how to do that on the computer, dont worry about the programmer for now

PLease HELP!!!

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
The input of your programmer connects to the PC. The output connects to the microcontroller chip. The program you use to control the programmer and download the hex file to the AVR chip will depend on which programmer you end up getting.

If you already have the hex file then all you need is the programmer software. You don't need WinAVR and you probably don't even need AVRStudio. They are needed if you write your own programs for the AVR microcontrollers. They help you write the source code (the program text file) and then convert that code into a code hex file that the microcontroller can understand.

The programmer software you use will be influenced by which programmer you use and that in turn will be influenced by the capabilities of your PC.

If your PC does not have any serial or parallel ports then you are limited to using a USB programmer and that means buying a commercial unit such as the AVRISP-II.

If you do have serial and/or parallel ports on your PC you can make your own programmer fairly easily. Then you connect the input of the programmer to the PC through the appropriate port (serial/parallel) and connect the output of the programmer to the AVR microcontroller. Then you use programmer software such as AVRdude to control the programmer and transfer the hex file from your PC to the chip.

AVRdude is a command-line program which a novice may find a little hard to use. You might be better off using Ponyprog http://www.lancos.com/prog.html which has a nice GUI and is more intuitive. Also the Ponyprog site has circuits of both serial and parallel connected programmers that you can built and a good step by step tutorial on using the software.

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
Thank you
i understand now, especially AlexR your post i understood so well thanks alot

Thanks to everyone else maybe i couldnt understand what your talking about

Ok so, i was thinking, A USB Cable has power +5v and 2 data wires is there a way i can just connect the 2 data cables to the ATtiny13 via a breadboard, add power, and just use a USB Cable?. because from what i understand that is easier.

FYI my Laptop does have a computer cable plug thing

I now understand that yes i only need ponyprog (or AVR Dude) because i already have the .hex

Now my problem is with the programmer

I am trying to program an ATtiny13 Chip, all of the AVR Programmers i have seen say they support other chips but not my ATtiny13 how do i choose a programmer that will, and if i make one which do i make.

I have heard of AVR programmer, ISP i dont know what this means, what they do , i dont understand how they are different i just want a programmer that will work for the ATtiny13 and universal to all or many other microcontrollers when i become more experienced at Programming

Thanks, Chris

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I have Installed
- AVR Studio 4
- AVR Dude
- Win AVR

How do i use them, why do i need all 3 of them
You need AVRSTUDIO4 to compile programs written in Assembly Language. You need WINAVR to compile programs written in C. AVRDUDE is a dos program for pushing .hex files down to your AVR. You will need a programming tool to program the AVR micro you have chosen.
I Have a .Hex code

which of these 3 programs do i need to put the hex code onto the Chip i want to program?

I Have a previous thread with other information but that hasn't got any info on using these programs, and why i need them in beginner's terms.

Chris

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
This programmer will do the trick for the ATTINY13 as well as pretty much all of the other AVRs.

It is wired for the ISP6PIN interface which is pretty simple. It uses a 2 by 3 connector to interface to the programming pins on the AVR.

hgmjr

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
No it has 15 holes, its a VGA Port go to the google link, its for a monitor

Its to only port on my computer (apart from LAN, USB's, some SATA thing thats it

I am on a laptop

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
It looks like you have both an RS232 and a USB. The USB port should work fine. A VGA port is strictly for video and will not work for serial communications.

hgmjr

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
Ok so seeing as how i can only use USB To program, how do i choose a USB Programmer for my ATtiny13?

Can i make a USB Programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.