how to turn the switch from low voltage

mohsen

Joined Oct 24, 2008
i want to turn on a pump that uses 12v,
is there a switch that have two inputs whenever the first input is on which is 5v, then the second input 12v will turn the output on and take the voltage of 12v.

mohsen

Joined Oct 24, 2008
what i wanted to say is i will have 12v input and another input from the circuit. if the circuit which is 5v in On then the pump will turn On, using the 12v power supply.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
What is the source of the 5V input...logic?...microcontroller?...? What is the current or wattage rating of the 12V pump? Depending on your circuits, you might be able to use a resistor and transistor...or a relay.

Ken

mohsen

Joined Oct 24, 2008
i will use a circuit that uses logic gates. Also i will use microcontroller. the pump uses 12v and 3 amps.

Last edited:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
In that case I would use a relay to isolate the 12V motor supply from the 5V logic/microcontroller supply. Use a 1K resistor and a 2N3904 transistor as a common emitter amplifier to drive a 5V relay. Place a 1N4001 diode across the relay coil, with the cathode to the +5V and the anode to the transistor's collector.

Ken

mohsen

Joined Oct 24, 2008
here is the drawing of the circuit!
the sensor will send a voltage signal and compare it with a specific voltage if the voltage signal from the sensor is lower then the circuit will turn on the pump(which is the lamp in this case)
but i couldn't get it work.

Attachments

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Make a voltage divider on the Vcc at the + input of the 331.
That way there is a switching point.

Now you are comparing Vcc with Vcc wich is not working.

Bertus

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
You need to power the relay coil from +5V. You can't switch an AC load with a transistor.
What kind of sensor do you have?

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
See attached:
The input circuitry still won't work. First, we don't know his sensor characteristics, and second, the input voltage range of the LMV331 does not extend to the positive supply voltage. Even if it did, a comparator output is indeterminate when the inputs are equal.

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
I didn't look up the part, I thought he was literally using a switch with a low-power opamp that could go close to GND.

For a comparator, check the datasheet (or other) application circuits and use hysteresis.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I didn't look up the part, I thought he was literally using a switch with a low-power opamp that could go close to GND.

For a comparator, check the datasheet (or other) application circuits and use hysteresis.
Close to GND isn't the problem. LMV331 inputs can go 0.1V below GND, but it will only work when the inputs are more than 0.8V below the positive rail.

mohsen

Joined Oct 24, 2008
the sensor i'm going to use is for soil moisture, when the voltage comes from the sensor less than the v+ which i don't know what is the right moisture in other word the right voltage range to set for the circuit to send High signal.
ok, here what i have done so far!
i did a voltage divider, and connected the power supply to 5v instead of 12v.
and it still doesn't work!! am i using the right relay!!

Attachments

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
the sensor i'm going to use is for soil moisture, when the voltage comes from the sensor less than the v+ which i don't know what is the right moisture in other word the right voltage range to set for the circuit to send High signal.
ok, here what i have done so far!
i did a voltage divider, and connected the power supply to 5v instead of 12v.
and it still doesn't work!! am i using the right relay!!
Look at the datasheet of the comparator. It has an open collector output. You need a pullup resistor.

mohsen

Joined Oct 24, 2008
:) i'm building this project, it's just one part of the project! ^_^, if i do this part correct i will know how to do the rest of it.