How to transmit lcd touchscreen information.

derrack

Joined Aug 15, 2016
I want to separate a LCD touch screen from a tablet and transmit the data from the pin out for the digitizer and screen in between the main board and the now remote screen. I would be interested in going so far as to making a separate board and removing the Digitizer IC and Display interface from the main board to transmit a more easier to understand signal type. At first I was trying to figure out how to send the information over a master/slave bluetooth connection but was told that the mega bytes per second may not be large enough to handle the information. I have since thought about going with a AV transmitter and receiver. But I don't know if the digitizer data would be able to be used like audio.

A unit kind of like this
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/3578

I also though about going with a couple of these units one for each direction
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...tting-TX-TS5828-for-5/727847_32378907248.html

If anyone could enlighten me on the feasibility of this that would be great. I have considered purchasing electronic gear to diagnose what types of signals I would be working with but anywhere else I have asked has stated that I would need an electronic engineering degree to try and figure this out.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
How much electronics experience do you have?
How do you intend to make the physical connection to the data lines from the touchscreen?
Do you know how the data from the touchscreen is formatted and is it parallel or serial?

derrack

Joined Aug 15, 2016
Hacking, cracking, soldering. Very basic programming. I am familiar with some components. As far as electrical theory and data sheets, a basic knowledge. Dabbler/Hobbyist.

I will remove the hookups and other hardware off of the main board and transfer them to a separate pcb that will be in the portable unit. I will supply power to those components with a lipo battery pack and power it with a power supply module.

As for the data type of course a search pulls up reformatting tablets. Would i use a oscilloscope to discover the data type?

derrack

Joined Aug 15, 2016
So it wouldn't be as simple as creating a master slave connection to send the same signal that would pass between the display controller and the main board?

Last edited:

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
So it wouldn't be as simple as creating a master slave connection to send the same signal that would pass between the display controller and the main board?
Why do you assume that a master slave connection is simple when you don't know what information needs to be sent over the connection? There may be multiple high-speed signals, how would you combine these to send them over a single transmission channel?

Start by identifying the devices involved and searching for their datasheets and if this doesn't yield enough information then you will need to make connections to the data lines and attempt to analyse the signals yourself. Have you identified the devices and data lines on the device and can you connect to them?

Last edited:

derrack

Joined Aug 15, 2016
The device will be in my hand in a week or so. I'll see what I'm working with then. Thanks for the ready responses.