how to transform mono TV into stereo sound.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ranatungawk, Aug 18, 2010.

1. ranatungawk

Thread Starter Senior Member

Oct 30, 2008
    i have a Sony Trinitron KV type Mono sound TV. i need to transform it into stereo sound. please let me how to do this... any circuit...?
    :)

2. big5824

Jul 15, 2010
    You cant just take a mono signal and turn it into stereo, the only way you could do this would be by accessing the stereo signal before it is combined into mono (if it even exists)

3. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Since the signal is most likely transmitted in stereo, there should be a combiner circuit (summer?). If you can find it, then this MAY not be very difficult.

I would start with finding the owners manual and then a schematic of the TV.

What is your input? If your input is from a coax (normal cable TV) then you can get a device that pulls the audio off of the cable and allows you to route it to your home-audio system or the like.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  4. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    An adapter box is about the only logical solution. Due to the design of TV sets for the past few decades the entire audio circuit is going to be contianed in only one or two ICs; in some cases the entire audio & video of a TV are just a single chip controlled by a central processor.

5. tom66

May 9, 2009
    @marshallf3: This is not always true. For one TV I opened (CRT, produced 2005) it used op-amps (quad, LM324) for the speaker outputs. It was stereo, but obviously the manufacturer decided it was the best option.

6. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Saved money on the extra speaker, did they?

Excptions do exist, such as I've got two AMD procesors that were "called" Athlon X2 but were in fact full quad core Phenoms inside. The proper motherboard with the proper BIOS could unlock the other two cores. There were some triple cores made this way too, they just disbled a core.

It was during a period when they were changing die size nM stuff and it was apparently just as cheap to crank out the full quads and disable the extra cores, that or some specs on one or more cores weren't quite up to spec. I've tried disabling them but where I'm using them there really isn't anything to gain but the extra heat they produce running as quads.