How to: traffic lights using two 555

555boy

Joined Nov 11, 2013
Hello to all this is my first post on the forum as well as my first circuit project (earlier did some simple ones like connect the battery to the motor or to the bulbs etc.) this is my real circuit based project on a traffic lights.
I want to create some traffic lights using a bread board and two 555. I have all the materials mensioned here including so many spares http://www.555-timer-circuits.com/traffic-lights.html.

It would be very nice if anyone could post a pic or two of their traffic lights using 2 555 ic and a bread board. It would be more better if they could also post some details and some instructions and some points it would be nice if the pics are clear and easily understandable.

I am doing this as a project and have to submit it in another 1day which is day after tomorrow in indian time

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to All About Circuits. The role of AAC is to assist members in understanding, faultfinding, debugging or modifications of design ideas.

Your project falls under the Homework Help forum. This is where we assist students in better understanding the theory and practice of electronics. We do not do your work for you.

Ask yourself what do you learn by copying someone else's design, circuit, layout and assembly and submitting that as your own work.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The traffic lights in most of the world have red, yellow, and red phases, so it would take three timing periods...

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Try 3 555's in a loop; 30 sec green, 3 sec yellow, & 30 sec red, then back to green. I'd show my old one but it is line operated with 120 V bulbs.

555boy

Joined Nov 11, 2013
ok I will try it on my own.
Note to the admistrator could you please change the board this topic is in to the homework board. Didn't know in which board to post in so posted in this one

555boy

Joined Nov 11, 2013
I know this will not be riht but please help me or else I will be having some plenty of marks minus from my exams

555boy

Joined Nov 11, 2013
Welcome to All About Circuits. The role of AAC is to assist members in understanding, faultfinding, debugging or modifications of design ideas.

Your project falls under the Homework Help forum. This is where we assist students in better understanding the theory and practice of electronics. We do not do your work for you.

Ask yourself what do you learn by copying someone else's design, circuit, layout and assembly and submitting that as your own work.
I would love doing it myself and not copying if i had time to figure out everything and do it

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
If you just want it to blink the lights, I threw this together for a friend that had an old light he wanted to fix up and put in his shop. Before I built it we discovered we could get an already built traffic light controller off eBay for less than the parts would cost.

555boy

Joined Nov 11, 2013
no actually everything seems to confusing for me i can't figure it out in the bread board.
and i never told i want to design something of my own.

i tried a lot but just can't understand where i should put this and where should i put that i tried a lot but just couldn't do it.

one last question can i solder all the parts without any need of bread board or pcb board or the board mentioned in the above post or any sort of board

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
i tried a lot but just can't understand where i should put this and where should i put that
Think of the schematic as a map. Can you identify all the components from their symbols? Do you understand the pin numbering and orientation of the 555? If so, then you just connect each component to its appropriate neighbour by following the lines on the map. A breadboard has sockets already inter-connected in rows.

555boy

Joined Nov 11, 2013
i figures everything out and connected them it was all proper so now i have a question is it necessary to insert the wires deep inside the breadboard