How to temporarily fasten pin headers before soldering?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by JimG, Jun 6, 2010.

1. JimG

Thread Starter Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I use a lot of pin headers or Molex pin connectors on my PCB's and am constantly struggling to find a good way to temporarily hold them in place, upside down, while soldering.

I've used SuperGlue with varying amounts of success (mostly less success).

The problem, of course, is that the pin headers like to fall out when I flip the board over.

How have others overcome this problem?

Jim

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    I use a piece of component foam, stick it on the tops of the headers then secure the foam to the PCB with standard tape.

3. JimG

Thread Starter Member

Dec 7, 2009
    No problem with the foam overheating or melting?

Thanks.

Jim

4. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Masking tape (actually drafting tape) but it doesn't work perfectly. I have thought about a drop of hot glue; it would work well but it's some trouble to use.

5. JimG

Thread Starter Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Yeah, I've been thinking about the hot glue approach, too. I've got to find something because burning my fingers on the tips of the pins is getting old.

Jim

6. Razor Concepts

Oct 7, 2008
    Stick the pins in loosely (doesen't matter if crooked), solder one pin to tack it in place. Re-orient the PCB, while holding the pins from the non-tacked end, re-heat the tack and push the pins to get them to be straight. Solder the rest of the pins. (only really works well for 3+ pins in a row)

7. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I have a piece of board stock I lay over the MTA headers I use. I can hold the cover over the headers and invert everything so the headers stay in place. Things do wiggle, so I use the above method of tacking one pin. A metal handle of some loose pliers makes the ideal surface to apply pressure with to straighten the headers one at a time (with the PCB upside down, I can press one at a time onto the handle).

8. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    The first time, the headers will cook little cups into the foam. you gotta be quick.

9. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
  10. JimG

Thread Starter Member

Dec 7, 2009
    That looks like a winner, too. Haven't seen that stuff since the kids were out of grade school! But as I recall it can be used to stick anything to anything else :)

I've got some boards on the way (soon, hopefully) from BatchPCB. I've got some good new options to try for soldering the pins.

Thanks to all who responded.

Jim

11. kingdano

Apr 14, 2010
    i have always used foam at work...or a pair of tweezers...or cardboard...:D...but seeing the bluestik seems like a great idea.

thanks for the idea