how to store ic circuits???

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by redacejr, May 26, 2008.

1. redacejr

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 22, 2008
    after a long time prototyping around and its time to store things in their place ... where do you put ic circuits that are charge sensitive and also protecting their pins from bending??
  2. Distort10n

Dec 25, 2006
    You may be able to buy it in any hobby electronic store, but I would suggest ESD foam (probably not the technical term).

Maxim-IC sends out their samples in simple protective foam. This also works well for DIP packages.
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    There are special tubes most chips come in to prevent this issue. I would suggest contacting a local supply house and asking, as far as I know they don't sell them, but I have several tubes I am using because I bought the chips in quantity.

The conductive foam also works good for this application.
  4. RaceHQ

Feb 14, 2008
    I always leave mine lying around the dado trunking. lol Does anyone know what programs a MC68HC16Z1CFC16 oH35S, i've had this lying around for some time but my upa does not support it.
  5. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    The old-style protective foam is black and porous. This stuff isn't so good because it holds moisture leading to corrosion, and eventually breaks down if exposed to higher temperatures.

I like the newer pink closed-cell foam much better. It doesn't seem to break down like the old stuff, and won't hold moisture.

If you buy IC's in quantity, they come in anti-static tubes that are bracket shaped in cross section. These do a great job of protecting the pins as well as guarding against ESD. You can also cut them down in length to store smaller quantities of ICs. A thumbtack in each end keeps them from escaping. A rubber band will work for a time, but will eventually fall apart.

Try to keep the humidity fairly low and the storage temperature constant. Humidity will accelerate corrosion. Wide variations in temperature will actually subject the IC to metal fatigue due to thermal expansion and contraction.

If you've handled the IC's, be certain to clean them well using 91% isopropyl alcohol before storage; otherwise the acids and salts from your perspiration will rapidly corrode them.

I've taken to plugging them into chunks of ESD foam cut to size, and putting them into small sealed plastic bags.
  6. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    Internet search on "ESD foam" and "conductive foam" yields many vendors, with quantities as small as a square inch to more than all of us together could use.
  7. mrmeval

Distinguished Member

Jun 30, 2006
    The cheapest for the hobbyist is also the best. Wrap the part(s) in aluminum foil. They used to do this with a thin foil but it's still expensive in million unit lots and fragile. Even aluminum on plastic wasn't cheap enough so the went to vapor deposited nickel bags.

Once the parts are wrapped in foil stick them in a sealable container with dessicant if they're to be very long term stored or are moisture sensitive. You need to completely wrap the part, sticking a part in foam will not provide enough protection it has to make a Faraday cage.

Pink poly is inadequate for some parts. The next cheaper alternate are the vapor deposited nickel bags. The bags must be sealed closed before handling outside an ESD safe work area.

100 small ones are 14 dollars + S&H