How to store etching solution after use?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Bjornk, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Bjornk

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 28, 2013

I have been making some PCBs and I wonder how to store the etching solution. The sodium persulfate I use was in powder form, before I desolved it in water and used it.

When making the PCBs I use a pyrex measuring cup.
    Can I store the solution in a bottle with a stopper/cork? Or do I have to store it in a open jar.

How do you store your PCB etching fluid?

Sodium persulfate datasheet:
  2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Mixed product should be stored in a ventilated container as some oxygen gas will be released. I guess using an empty 4 liter windshield detergent bottle. Or empty hooch container depending of which part of Norway you are from:p. With the lid not fully tightened. So the gassy can escape will work OK. For disposal use one of those "gjenbruks-/miljø-stasjon" but mark the container properly. Do not just use the drain
    PackratKing likes this.
  3. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    That is exactly how I store my Ferric Chloride.
  4. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
  5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Be aware fumes from many etchants will eat all metals stored around them, such as tools. I have ruined a fair share of tools finding this out (several times).

I wrap a rolled up paper towel tightly around the cap and bottle, and tape it tightly into place. This absorbs the fumes, and give the fumes something to eat beside my tool box (or whatever).

I put this advice in my PCB etching article, How I make PCBs
  6. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    I squeeze the bottle a bit (so it is not full volume) and screw the lid on airtight. That stops it releasing the fumes.