How to stop piracy?

synkore

Joined Apr 18, 2006
Several days ago, I got one call from my under-classmate in Notre Dame. Now he worked as the sales director in one famous design software company. He asked me about the electronic design industry in China. He told me that everyone knows that China is a huge market but most company hesitates to enter China market due to piracy.

Everyone knows that piracy has a significant impact on the high-tech industry, resulting in lost jobs, decreased innovation and higher costs. As a Chinese who has been working in USA for more than 10 yrs, I understand his worry and I also believe Chinese government has realized this. But it seems a mission impossible to stop piracy in a country like China. But could anyone tell me what’s the best way to solve the piracy problem?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Edit: You original question is valid, but advertising is not permitted in any form. I have closed your thread dedicated to advertising your company. Do not spam the forums with advertisement - you have have been warned.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by synkore@Apr 18 2006, 05:22 PM
Several days ago, I got one call from my under-classmate in Notre Dame. Now he worked as the sales director in one famous design software company. He asked me about the electronic design industry in China. He told me that everyone knows that China is a huge market but most company hesitates to enter China market due to piracy.

Everyone knows that piracy has a significant impact on the high-tech industry, resulting in lost jobs, decreased innovation and higher costs. As a Chinese who has been working in USA for more than 10 yrs, I understand his worry and I also believe Chinese government has realized this. But it seems a mission impossible to stop piracy in a country like China. But could anyone tell me what’s the best way to solve the piracy problem?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Edit: You original question is valid, but advertising is not permitted in any form. I have closed your thread dedicated to advertising your company. Do not spam the forums with advertisement - you have have been warned.
[post=16277]Quoted post[/post]​
The first one I could think of is realistic prices. For example, Altium DXP here is OZ is around $9000. How is a smal business supposed to get started in design if they are faced with prices like this. Also look at windows. Bill Gates is the second richest man in the world. Obviously he is making too much profit. He would still be a very rich man if he was to sell windows for a 1/4 of the price and more people would be willing to buy it instead of copy it.

Of course for the hardened pirates you can never make it cheap enough.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am a part owner of a small company. We manufacture components for factory automation systems. We will not sell our products in China: not now, not ever. It is far to easy to invest in marketing and supporting a product in a place like China only to be disadvantaged by a bureaucratic, communist government, or blindsided by an immature commercial and legal system. This was the good advice from a business school professor, who taught me international finance. As he told it, he and his family lost over USD $ 6 Million trying to do business in China. We don't have that kind of money to invest and lose.

As far as I'm concerned we'll just hang on to our intellectual property and forego the vast Chinese market. We just don't need the aggravation.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by Papabravo@Apr 19 2006, 12:48 PM
I am a part owner of a small company. We manufacture components for factory automation systems. We will not sell our products in China: not now, not ever. It is far to easy to invest in marketing and supporting a product in a place like China only to be disadvantaged by a bureaucratic, communist government, or blindsided by an immature commercial and legal system. This was the good advice from a business school professor, who taught me international finance. As he told it, he and his family lost over USD $ 6 Million trying to do business in China. We don't have that kind of money to invest and lose.

As far as I'm concerned we'll just hang on to our intellectual property and forego the vast Chinese market. We just don't need the aggravation.
[post=16302]Quoted post[/post]​
BINGO

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by windoze killa@Apr 18 2006, 10:42 PM
The first one I could think of is realistic prices. For example, Altium DXP here is OZ is around $9000. How is a smal business supposed to get started in design if they are faced with prices like this. Also look at windows. Bill Gates is the second richest man in the world. Obviously he is making too much profit. He would still be a very rich man if he was to sell windows for a 1/4 of the price and more people would be willing to buy it instead of copy it.

Of course for the hardened pirates you can never make it cheap enough.
[post=16295]Quoted post[/post]​
Just wait for Windows Vista, the development cost incurred by Microsoft's latest incarnation will cost more than any other version of Windows previously. As it now happens Windows is now more difficult to copy due to GAT, so the alternative to home-users now is to migrate to an open-source OS (e.g Linux), and most businesses will shun Vista until MS pull the plug on all their previous Windows versions - I think they call it vendor lock-in.

Dave