How to start your own Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Did you really think that what you earned for a business is what you get paid. The tax starts before the IRS.
Like the medicare tax and the social security tax ... you pay half and the business pays half. The employee costs more than their hourly wage.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Did you really think that what you earned for a business is what you get paid. The tax starts before the IRS.
A "tax" is involuntary....collected at gunpoint.

A wage is voluntary, both for the employer (who doesn't have to hire you) and the employee (who doesn't have to take the job).

Here's a quick economic quiz for you:

If I hired you, and your work produced $10 of value to my business for every hour you worked, which of the following (total) remuneration is the most sensible for both of us?

A) $5 per hour
B) $10 per hour
C) $20 per hour

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013

A wage is voluntary, both for the employer (who doesn't have to hire you) and the employee (who doesn't have to take the job).

If I hired you, and your work produced $10 of value to my business for every hour you worked, which of the following (total) remuneration is the most sensible for both of us?

A) $5 per hour
B) $10 per hour
C) $20 per hour
D) $7.5 per hour and I'll not tell the feds about your ways of business:D

But don't try to blame it all on the government it is a business just like the example you wrote.

We are the government as well.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
D) $7.5 per hour and I'll not tell the feds about your ways of business:D
This is fine. You sell your labor at a 25% discount. Now all you gotta do is find an employer who purchases labor at a 25% discount. Capitalism at it's best!

But don't try to blame it all on the government it is a business just like the example you wrote.

We are the government as well.
I didn't blame anything on the government -- maybe you confused my post with another?

But, a correction is in order: We are now led by our "betters". There is no such thing as "of the people, by the people, for the people" anymore. This is one of the reasons why Mr. Trump is looking like the likely Republican nominee, unfortunately.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
7.50 an hour is too high. More like 2.50 per hour as the other 7.50 would cover all the costs from the employer's share of the taxes, the office staff, the owner's salary, and all the consumables and non-productive time.

No one is 100 percent productive every hour, every day.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
This is fine. You sell your labor at a 25% discount. Now all you gotta do is find an employer who purchases labor at a 25% discount. Capitalism at it's best!

I didn't blame anything on the government -- maybe you confused my post with another?

But, a correction is in order: We are now led by our "betters". There is no such thing as "of the people, by the people, for the people" anymore. This is one of the reasons why Mr. Trump is looking like the likely Republican nominee, unfortunately.
I don't sell myself short. It is the price of working for someone else whining about all kinds of shit yet getting fatter and fatter.

7.50 an hour is too high. More like 2.50 per hour as the other 7.50 would cover all the costs from the employer's share of the taxes, the office staff, the owner's salary, and all the consumables and non-productive time.

It was never $10 per hour. More like they charged the costumer $50 per hour while paying me $12 per hour. Shit adds up faster than my taxes.

And I'm not talking about the material cost. Just the charge for my work.

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011

The $10 in my above post was intended to be "net" after all costs. The difference between value produced and rate paid is profit for me. Without the profit, I wouldn't stay in business long...and @Sinus23 would be out of a job.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Read post #27.
What's your point? Everything is discounted along the supply chain, including labor.

My distributors make more money than me for each product I sell. Their retailers make more money than them. Cash exchanges hands each step of the way, but, in the end, everyone is better off for it.

Except when the gov't is involved. Then the cronies at the till walk off with most of the money -- after sharing a bit with their congress critters.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
The $10 in my above post was intended to be "net" after all costs. The difference between value produced and rate paid is profit for me. Without the profit, I wouldn't stay in business long...and @Sinus23 would be out of a job.
Hey you know I would make you that $2.5 daddy by working hard :D

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
What's your point? Everything is discounted along the supply chain, including labor.

My distributors make more money than me for each product I sell. Their retailers make more money than them. Cash exchanges hands each step of the way, but, in the end, everyone is better off for it.

Except when the gov't is involved. Then the cronies at the till walk off with most of the money -- after sharing a bit with their congress critters.
So the money stops when the government gets it? It stops flowing between hands like magic or something. Gets locked up in a vault and no one can get it...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
We're 2 pages in and not one person pointed out that, to start a business, you ought to have an idea of meeting some need in the market. Good business is a clever matching of what your company can do - hopefully better than anyone else - with what a customer will pay for. That's the nub of it, connecting a supply with a demand, and doing it better than anyone else can.

With that match-up, the rest will fall into place with good management. Without it, the best managers in the world cannot save you.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
So the money stops when the government gets it? It stops flowing between hands like magic or something. Gets locked up in a vault and no one can get it...
The gov't doesn't produce value. It just moves money from the productive to the non-productive.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008

A) $5 per hour
B) $10 per hour
C) $20 per hour
A) Because the truth is no employer can pay you what you're worth, which is why you're better off working for yourself.

Corollary....if you were paid what you earned the company, there's no point in hiring you.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
A) Because the truth is no employer can pay you what you're worth, which is why you're better off working for yourself.
Even then, you *must* provide your products/services at a discount -- i.e. at a cost less than the perceived benefit to the customer -- otherwise, there is no reason for the customer to do business with you.

If a customer can grow his own apples at a cost less than or equal to what you would charge him (including the cost of not being able to do something else while growing his own apples), there is no benefit to the customer to buy your apples. So, no sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.